transfer box evaluation

Hi

I have bought a second hand transfer box, which I am told was working well. How can I evaluate its condition 'on the bench'? (floor)

any guidance is appreciated

thanks

jerry

Give it a good visual check, looking for leaking seals, missing or damage parts in the linkages etc.

Give it a good clean, drain and examine the oil.

Check for axial and radial play (indicating worn bearings) in the front and rear output shafts (a good deal of backlash is normal).

Remove the round cover from the rear of the input gear and the rectangular cover from underneath the intermediate gears.

Remove the input gear (depending on the ratio, as some require the intermediate gear to be removed) and examine for wear or damage of the gear teeth, the internal splines and the bearings. Ensure that it has the cross drilled lubrication hole for lubricating the splines.

Examine the intermediate gears for wear or damage of the gear teeth and check for play in the bearings.

I would go as far as pulling the front and rear output housings and checking inside the centre diff (as these give problems if the previous owner was not in the habit of locking the diff offroad).

Give it a good visual check, looking for leaking seals, missing or damage parts in the linkages etc.

Give it a good clean, drain and examine the oil.

Check for axial and radial play (indicating worn bearings) in the front and rear output shafts (a good deal of backlash is normal).

Remove the round cover from the rear of the input gear and the rectangular cover from underneath the intermediate gears.

Remove the input gear (depending on the ratio, as some require the intermediate gear to be removed) and examine for wear or damage of the gear teeth, the internal splines and the bearings. Ensure that it has the cross drilled lubrication hole for lubricating the splines.

Examine the intermediate gears for wear or damage of the gear teeth and check for play in the bearings.

I would go as far as pulling the front and rear output housings and checking inside the centre diff (as these give problems if the previous owner was not in the habit of locking the diff offroad).

john,

thanks - very useful - i will now go inspect :D !

output shafts are in roller not taper bearings so an amount of play, say 2mm or so is fine.

the LT230 is a very strong unit uunless there are broken /chipped gears

I'd wager it will be fine

ah - cool - let me open her up to see closer then I will report back !