1971 2 Door Restoration Project

mwgriffiths

Hi guys and gals, I'm new here, the name's Matt

Bit of background on me I guess first: I'm 21, at Uni reading Mechanical Engineering and I do a lot of Formula Student stuff through Uni so I know my way around most things bar a mig welder, but that's definitely a skill I'm going to need to acquire tongue.gif Land Rovers have been in my family longer than I have and I've been competing in a lot of RTV trails over the past 3 years in an 86".

And now onto the fun/interesting bit. Let me introduce you to my new toy and first car:She is a late '71 2 door (K reg). As for the price, it was advertised online so some of you may have seen it, but I won't go into details if you don't mind rolleyes.gif

5408361186_abbb5408c7_b.jpg

This first shot ^ is one of a few taken from the ad, and it is fairly representative of the general condition ohmy.gif

5408379716_d4e0a54bc3_b.jpg

And her she is arriving home, happy days laugh.gif Just a bit gutted I wasn't around to see it sad.gif

I won't be able to give it a proper going over until next weekend at this rate sad.gif

But to say "It's going to need some work" I think would be the understatement of the year so far laugh.gif

The list of problems is long, but I'm not in a huge rush to get stuck in, I want to do it right rolleyes.gif The end goal is a tidy (but not concours) Classic in its original colour with most of the correct period bits that'll be used almost exclusively for trials, the winter and high days and holidays. Hopefully it'll look totally standard minus a 2" lift, mud tyres and recovery points.

That's show and tell over, now for the endless barrage of questions from me tongue.gif

First big one is what's the best way to trace as much of this cars history as possible? Are the Heritage Certificates worth getting, what does the Technical Specification include that the regular package doesn't? What will the DVLA be able to tell me about where it went after it left Solihull, the seller mentioned it may have some history with the BBC, is there any way to confirm or deny that?

The bulkhead shows signs of Tuscan Blue under the green, if I can confirm that's the original colour that'll probably the colour I'll finish it in.

Where is the best place to track down bits like a proper 3 spoke wheel (It's got a newer 4 spoke in at the moment) and the fold down rear registration plate holder thingy and the like? I'm guessing Fleabay, the classifieds here but any recommendations on good sites to buy bits from would be appreciated (assuming that's allowed?)

From what I've read, as I understand it there shouldn't be a rear wiper (Not sure where the motor is yet) nor should there be a door mirror, and the chrome rear window slider is correct, can anyone confirm these?

Is there anything else there that wouldn't have been as it left the factory, apart from that huge towvbar, which, even if it was standard is coming off!

Next big one is what about the seats and seatbelts? I'm guessing they should have been vinyl with the seatbelts built in. Mine are cloth and I don't trust the belts, tongue.gif So what are my options? I've seen very late two doors (and CSKs) with B pillar mounted units, but there seems to be some worry about the strength of the B pillar. Why? Did the B pillar change through the life of the two door in order to allow seatbelt mounting? What about rear passengers, what (new) seatbelt kits should I be looking at to strap them in nice and tight?

Told you there'd be a load of questions :P If you have any of your own fire away :) (Other than "ZOMG what have you done?" laugh.gif )

Matt

I have a 76 and it has the rear wiper. I am pretty sure they all had them. Virtually all the rangies had door mirrors, but from what I can figure out they must have been added later at dealer, etc. It is hard to find a common mirror design used, but the older 2 doors appeared to be reasonably similar.

Hi, and welcome to THE forum :)

I am looking at a reprint of the Range Rover launch brochure so I think I can answer a couple of your queries from looking at the pictures.."From what I've read, as I understand it there shouldn't be a rear wiper " - Difficult to see for certain but I am fairly confident that there is one visible in one of the photos. Maybe it was an option?

"chrome rear window slider" - Yep - can see chrome in some pics (but not in others so may be an option also?)

"door mirror" - No idea when these first came in, but again, at launch they had wing mirrors - you can see the mounting holes in your bonnet.

Re the B pillar and seat belts - I used to work on Range Rover seat frames and when they changed to normal belts there were rumours that there was a strength issue in the B pillar. Logically - since the original car had seat-mounted seat belts, it would not have been built with sufficient strength in the B pillars to mount belts there (that would have cost money!) , and later when they decided to move them, they would have had to change the design to strengthen it, as they did in other areas when they first fitted rear belts.

Looking forward to following the rebuild - lots of photos please!

Roger

p.s. PM me if you would like to borrow my reprinted brochure for a while, although, having said that I bet somebody on here would just give you one since they came free with one of the rags recently...

Welcome along - always liked the 2-doors, good to see one being restored.

If you need good original bits, Martin Toole (Range Rover Recycled Parts, 07885 025872) is a top chap, he knows his stuff and doesn't sell junk (him & his apprentice both have CSK's).

Cheers for the words of support, I think I'll need them laugh.gif

I am looking at a reprint of the Range Rover launch brochure so I think I can answer a couple of your queries from looking at the pictures.."From what I've read, as I understand it there shouldn't be a rear wiper " - Difficult to see for certain but I am fairly confident that there is one visible in one of the photos. Maybe it was an option?

"chrome rear window slider" - Yep - can see chrome in some pics (but not in others so may be an option also?)

"door mirror" - No idea when these first came in, but again, at launch they had wing mirrors - you can see the mounting holes in your bonnet.

I think I've spent too much time on range-rover-classics looking at the model year changes and forgetting that it was built by BL, so anything could have happened blink.giftongue.gif

I see very early cars on there with no rear wiper, I need to investigate mine to see where the wiper motor is located, that'll hopefully give me a clue as to whether the tailgate is new or not.

Re the B pillar and seat belts - I used to work on Range Rover seat frames and when they changed to normal belts there were rumours that there was a strength issue in the B pillar. Logically - since the original car had seat-mounted seat belts, it would not have been built with sufficient strength in the B pillars to mount belts there (that would have cost money!) , and later when they decided to move them, they would have had to change the design to strengthen it, as they did in other areas when they first fitted rear belts.

Sounds like I'm best off keeping the seat mounted seatbelts then, not sure what to do about the rears yet....

Looking forward to following the rebuild - lots of photos please!

Sure thing, here's another from the ad. In this photo we can play the game "spot the difference" where the aim is to point out all the missing and broken bits: Its fun for all the family! laugh.gif

5408360236_5c8d708724_b.jpg

p.s. PM me if you would like to borrow my reprinted brochure for a while, although, having said that I bet somebody on here would just give you one since they came free with one of the rags recently...

Ah I remember that now, I must have that somewhere.....

Welcome along - always liked the 2-doors, good to see one being restored.

If you need good original bits, Martin Toole (Range Rover Recycled Parts, 07885 025872) is a top chap, he knows his stuff and doesn't sell junk (him & his apprentice both have CSK's).

Cheers for tip, part of me is tempted to wedge some Vogue SE trim in like the CSK because the original is kinda shot as you can see, so he might be good to talk to about stuff like that tongue.gifLots of bits a pieces to find: the big one is the two part PVC headlining, which has gone AWOL from my motor sad.gif

Matt

Lookis like a good base to start from - hope you enjoy hunting tinworms :)

your dash looks a lot different to the one in my (potential)'81 3 door model

Image476.jpg

although looking at it, i think mine may have had air con on it originally.....

Range-Rover-Classic shows the differences between the dash grab handles at the bottom of of the 1970 article, just before the page break for 1971 as well as listing (theoretically) all the changes for each model year

You've got all mod cons there - a cigarette lighter and everything! biggrin.gif

I assume the gauges in disco_al's dash would fit in the spare slots in my dash? I fancy keeping an eye on the voltage from the alternator, as well as the oil pressure and temperature as I've had problems with all of those before mad.gif

The wash wipe was optional from October 1972.

Cheers for the conformation mate smile.gif

5410795897_947baf4f83_b.jpg

As you can see mine's got a top mounted motor which definitely isn't right, so that's going in the bin rolleyes.gif One less thing to go wrong / for me to break biggrin.gif

Like my headlining? tongue.gif

As you can see mine's got a top mounted motor which definitely isn't right, so that's going in the bin

If you're doing a restoration/rebuild, I wouldn't bin ANYTHING until you're completely finished and certain it's neither needed, valuable, or useful for bits. It may be wrong, but it may also donate parts to make the right one work.

If you're doing a restoration/rebuild, I wouldn't bin ANYTHING until you're completely finished and certain it's neither needed, valuable, or useful for bits. It may be wrong, but it may also donate parts to make the right one work.

Yes, bin was a bad choice of words tongue.gif the "bin" is an upturned Series 1 wing in the garage with various bits and pieces that look useful in: Why throw away when you can hoard? biggrin.gif

But my point still stands the wiper is coming out dry.gif but it'll probably go to a mate or on fleabay rather than in a bin rolleyes.gif

Hi Matt,

Congratulations on your purchase. Regarding picking up spares, accessories and update parts, you could do a lot worse than taking a trailer and a wodge of folding to the next Vintage & 4x4 Sortout in early April at the Newbury Showground. Despite the name it is 90% Landrover based.

As you can see mine's got a top mounted motor which definitely isn't right, so that's going in the bin rolleyes.gif

Not sure about the detail but that motor is roughly where mine was on my '90 RRC - were the earlier ones mounted differently?

Range-Rover-Classic shows the differences between the dash grab handles at the bottom of of the 1970 article, just before the page break for 1971 as well as listing (theoretically) all the changes for each model year

i was looking at the four rectabgular holes along the dash, just below the auxilliary gauges, i think it's an add on air con system, although not entirely sure. the glovebox doesn't appear to exist either.

Hi Matt, and welcome to the mine of information that is LR4x4.

Yes, I saw that on the web, glad it's found a good home.

As for the door mirrors, I used to drive a mate's 1973 M plate model, and that hand round chromed mirrors on the corners of the wing. I have a feeling the N/S one may have been an option, but the hole was always there with a grommet in if the mirror wasn't spec'd.

Every 2-door I have been in had seat mounted safety belts, the earliest were not even the recoil type. I don't know if later 2 doors were changed, but if they did, I'd expect the belt to have got tangled up every time someone climbed into the back.

As a kid, my Dad's mate had a 1970 J plate and we used to clamber in via the gap between the front seat (pre-cubby boxes), far easier than wrestling with the heavy seats

I was going to point you to Ronnie Jacob's site, but I've been beaten to it. He has posted on this forum in the 'show me yours' thread. I can't find the thread myself at the moment, bluddy typical! If you are ever losing inspiration, have a look there.

I'm about halfway through Ronnie Jacob's thread with Google translate doing a good job of making it readable biggrin.gif It looks stunning, I love the colour of his, but Tuscan Blue is the original on mine and almost as awesome, so that'll be what I paint it.... Eventually tongue.gif

YCX 348K, second from bottom on that page is also an inspiration, even if I don't like the colour tongue.gif

Seats and seatbelts are virtually the only area where I don't have a plan for how to proceed now dry.gif The vinyl originals are long gone, but I'd love to get some rolleyes.gif Does anyone offer a re-trim kit for vinyl seats?

My doors look to be beyond repair dry.gif Anyone know of any good condition second hand doors going spare? tongue.gif

In better news I've decided there is an angle where it doesn't look like a complete shed biggrin.gif

5407750357_f7bd77ed20_b.jpg

Apologies for the awful photos, most are off eBay, some are off my parents old compact, next weekend I'll go and get some proper shots of her with my SLR so we can all wonder together quite what I've gotten myself in for blink.gif

I'll hopefully be able to start on the project properly then too rolleyes.gif First job will be to get rid of that plough on the back tongue.gif then an oil flush, over fill and drain, new battery and we'll see what's what under the bonnet - I'm not expecting anything really, partly because I want an excuse to tear the engine apart and have a look biggrin.gif

Exmoor Trim could be your friends for a re trim - either that or a trawl through the yellow pages. another alternative will be to look at the car restorers section as well, and give them a call, or go see them, they maybe able to recommend a company that does a good job.

is it just the camera angle, or does that rear wheel in the above shot look like it's leaning inwards at the bottom??

I'm about halfway through Ronnie Jacob's thread with Google translate doing a good job of making it readable biggrin.gif It looks stunning, I love the colour of his, but Tuscan Blue is the original on mine and almost as awesome, so that'll be what I paint it.... Eventually tongue.gif

Good luck with your Range Rover-project!

I will definetly follow this thread! :)

And Rosamond's website will be updated soon!

I've had chance to tinker a bit this weekend, but nothing too in depth. The list of things I've found that are in good/working condition are:

• The battery (Just bought a new one)
  • The second lower tailgate that came with the motor
  • The wipers work slowly
  • The handbrake
  • The chassis is OK because it's been re-chassis'd before

And that's all I've found so far blink.gif

There are some bushes coming for the starter this week, so hopefully that'll come back to life, then next weekend will be spent seeing it we can make this beast crank smile.gif

I'm also tempted to do some highly superficial work on the bumpers and tow bar to make me feel better tongue.gif

Good luck with your Range Rover-project!

I will definetly follow this thread! :)

And Rosamond's website will be updated soon!

I will post some pictures in the next day or so of the one i`m involved in, nut and bolt resto.... :ph34r: that should give you some oomph to get stuck in.

Thanks for the support!

Any ideas where I might find two new doors? tongue.gif

You're a brave soul!!!! I've had a long standing ambition to do a two door myself. But I worry too much about having no reference points left when finished cutting away all the rot. I shall follow your progress with interest!

Brave or foolish? Right now I'm thinking the later biggrin.gif