1971 2 Door Restoration Project

mwgriffiths

Indeed, the right angled part of the crossmember wasn't quite right, I had to install it at a slight angle as a compromise, and the hinge holes were much too big, possibly because they are a metric size to be compatible with much later rangies? I have drilled out my hinges to match but I still need to see if the pins for the later vehicles were indeed a bigger size. Anyone got some?

Tiny little update:

You know how I said I loved eBay for getting me a set of SUs for £11.49?

I take it all back :P What I've actually got is a set of standard fit Zenith Strombergs rolleyes.gif

But every cloud has a silver lining - it's enabled me to transfer the linkages directly without swapping the manifold and carbs over, so for <10mins work the accelerator cable is now connected up and the carbs connected to each other - result biggrin.gif It also means I've got a spare set of identical carbs if i need them, so this mistake was probably for the best smile.gif

The manifolds are slightly different it seems, but nothing to serious smile.gif

I have removed the goalpoast / rear crossmember assembly. Not perfect but could be used with some attention. Have a look and see if you think it's better than what you've got.

goalpost.jpg

Theres a rust hole a bit below the rear wiper hole. I can email bigger pics if you PM me your addy.

• 2 weeks later...

Will, you should have a PM, sorry I took so long to get back to you :)

Long time no update.

So, what have I achieved? Well:

• Suspension is on, and just needs setting up properly
  • One of the new engines is in
  • Most of the oil and water lines are done
  • Bodywork is finished

Just a bit of wiring left to do now biggrin.gif

The all important photo's:

259133_10150202813537062_580852061_7496156_420456_o.jpg

Did I not mention I wasn't on about the RR? tongue.gif

Yes unfortunately I've been a tad distracted with this of late, so nothing has happened on the Range Rover, and I very much doubt too much will happen before August at this rate sad.gif

Matt

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi ,

i have an original 76 RR. Yours looks about right. I will send you some pix when the moderator allows it as I am a new member. In the meanwhile you may find the book "Original Range Rover" by Taylor useful for originality. Beware! some body bits are getting quite rare so you will have to mend the bits you have got.

Regards,

John