Insurance advice

L19MUD

ON topic as its for transporting landies!

Does anyone have any suggestions for cheap 7.5 ton cover. It will be for private use only, low miles per year. I expect the truck to be worth £3k-£4k

Only snag is that I am only 26, although will prob put my old man on the insurance to make it a bit cheaper

Thanks

Sam

Thanks everyone. I will start the ring round process later.

Yes I know all about that thanks bobed90, its a nightmare! I decided to do my full C+E in the end and just be done with it.

Fingers crossed having my full HGV might make my insurance a little cheaper?

No probs - thats ok!

Well it wasnt cheap - this is the rough breakdown of costs (IIRC)

Medical - £50 (needed to send off D4 application form)

Theory test - £35

Hazard test - £35

C Training, 1 week in a rigid with the test fee included (£115 test fee) - £1055 inc VAT

C+E Training, 1 week in an artic with the test fee included (£115 test fee) - £1055 inc VAT

So a total of £2,230. Not a cheap experience, but then I figured that once i had done it, i would have it for life and that i must be able to earn some money on the side here and there in the next few years to pay it back.

My main recomendation would be not to use the "national" companies you find on a google search such as lgvdirect. They are in effect just booking agencies who take a cut. This cut then either costs you more money or results in you having less driving time.

My training was 2-1 - ie 2 people in the cab with one instructor so you shared the driving. This worked well for me as i found i could watch and learn from the other persons mistakes. It might not be for everyone though (but you pay more for 1 to 1 training)

Going from a car to the rigid was the biggest jump I think, as its the width of the lorry that takes some getting used to. Going from the rigid to the artic was not as big a jump, although i did have the benifit of many years experience of towing and reversing trailers with tractors.

Good luck if you decide to do it.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info

Sam

So a total of £2,230. Not a cheap experience, but then I figured that once i had done it, i would have it for life and that i must be able to earn some money on the side here and there in the next few years to pay it back.

Thanks for that Sam, as you say not cheap but should pay for itself after a while. Lack of cash will probably dictate I only do B+E so at least I can legally tow more than a sack of spuds in a sankey behind the 110... :rolleyes: