removal/repair of rear quarter panel Disco 2

petrolhead63

unfortunately my other half recently argued with one of those nasty short concrete posts and has made a pretty good job of the passenger side rear quarter. It is repairable but to do it well it would be easier to get properley behind the damage.

This panel does remove by only bolts/screws I believe.

How does it come off and how long?

Any known pitfalls?

Other owners experiences would be welcome, or if you happen to have an oxford blue rear quarter for me perhaps thats easier!

Just stripped one down, lots of little bolts on the inside, then have to prise all the mastic off and pull the panels away, could do one in 20mins if not distracted by all the rust on the inner panels.

are the bolts up inside behind the plastic arch liner? and the mastic, is that body colour painted or simply over the seam hidden?

I dont like the sound of lots of rust on such young discos...perhaps I should get my waxoyl gun spraying!

• 10 years later...

First time removing a quarter panel from my disco 2 took me several hours.  One hang up is the C pillar.  if you want to save that piece and the nuts spin the bolt when trying to remove it's a problem.  You need to get it off to expose three bolts.  After you are sure you removed all the bolts the fun begins.  You will need a solvent (I used alcohol) and  a heat gun to soften the adhesive around the sides middle, and top.  I fashioned wooded wedges to gently separate the QP from the body.  Now that I know the program the other side will be easier.  Oh and be sure to remove 2 screws that attach the mud flap.