Fitting Range Rover Classic Alloys to Defender

Hey,

Sorry if this has come up before, I am about to do a long distance drive through france and my MTs are noisy and will wear to nothing.

I have a Range Rover Classic with a outstanding set of ATs on the classic 3 spoke alloys. My defender is a 1988 110 with standard front hubs and TD5 rear hubs.

I have heard mixed things about whether they will fit, will they? (they are 200miles from me at the moment) Any other reason I shouldn't fit them?

Cheers,

Adam

Hey,

Sorry if this has come up before, I am about to do a long distance drive through france and my MTs are noisy and will wear to nothing.

I have a Range Rover Classic with a outstanding set of ATs on the classic 3 spoke alloys. My defender is a 1988 110 with standard front hubs and TD5 rear hubs.

I have heard mixed things about whether they will fit, will they? (they are 200miles from me at the moment) Any other reason I shouldn't fit them?

Cheers,

Adam

Have them fitted to your rims?

RRC alloys and Mods are VERY VERY different offset! Expect to see your wheels disappear into the arches by an inch or more :ph34r:

*edit* RRC alloys are +33mm, most mods (16x7) are +8mm, so you would lose exactly an inch. 16x8 mods may be different.

hmm, how much of a issue is that?

I have 3 options...

Range Rover Classic Alloys with standard sized tyres - Free

Range Rover Classic Alloys with 235/85 tyres - fairly cheap, just awkward getting tyres swapped etc

Disco Steels with 235/70s or 85s - Need to buy tyres

So Free would be nice!

Got some info on them :)

Goodyear Wrangler 205 R16 104T 900 Kg... so 4 of them are way over my MAM :)

So they would be fine then? obviously my speedo will massively over read and they are a good couple of inches thinner and with the offset issue, but is that a problem?

I do not know the full ins and outs of the C&U regulations, but the RRC alloys will almost certianly not be sufficiently rated for your 110. If you can look at the rim of the alloy it will give the load rating IIRC -certainly on one of my RRCs it did.

Oh I see, but surely the alloy is rated to at least the minimum of the tyre? How would I find that out?

I dont think so, i presume whichever is lowest would be the value you have to use. IIRC some disco alloys had the rating stamped on them (may be wrong there) so your RRC ones may have that also, but AFAIK, no disco or RRC alloys are rated for the weight of the 110.

Alloys will not directly fit a pre-300Tdi axle!

The earlier axles had wide bearing spacing and thick flanges that make the hub boss protrude more from the wheel mounting flange, which fouls the inside of an alloy. To fit LR designed alloys you need to add a spacer ring to the hub of at least 4mm and then use longer studs (the original studs will not have enough engagement on the wheel nuts to be safe). I have done this to a Salisbury 110 axle, using the centres of the old brake drums to make up the spacers (6mm). The original studs were thus too short, but Wolf studs (25mm longer)are about 6mm too long, so will need trimming. The plastic centre cone of the hub protrudes about 15mm form the centre of the wheel (RRC alloy), and the after-market pentagonal drive flanges are incompatible with this axle/wheel combination as they'd foul the inside of the wheel.

Obviously, non-LR alloys which leave the hub boss exposed, like the ZUs or Predators, don't have this issue.