Has it got a later IRD fitted

ChrisW

Currently running a 1998 L series diesel and have been looking for an IRD out of the TD4 as it allegedly has a final drive ratio closer to the rear diff than the earlier Freelanders.

Have searched various forums to find out how to tell the difference and there was one posting that mentioned mph/1000rpm

So my L series currently does approx 25mph per 1000rpm which means at 50mph in 5th the engine is doing 2000rpm.

I have nothing to compare this to apart from an article I found on the TD4 and it mentioned the revised final drive ratio of the IRD giving 24.3 mph per 1000rpm which seems to suggest that mine may possibly already have the later IRD fitted

So question is can any of the L series owners confirm what rpm their engine is doing at 50mph in 5th gear?

You need to think of how the gearing is calculated.

The gearbox reduces rpm from the input shaft to the output shaft. The IRD's input rpm is from the gearbox this is then reduced again. The output rpm from the IRD goes to both front and rear axle differentials.

It was this ratio between the front and rear axle differentials that caused the IRD to have issues. When the Freelander was made it was designed to feel like a front wheel drive car hence the front axle having a different ratio to the back.

So back to your question you would need to know which axles were fitted to the car as well as both the axles and IRD had a gearing change. I understand it was done in 2000 when the model was revised with the td4 engine.