Snorkels

I'm looking on putting a raised air intake on my defender and am quite taken by the landrover part LR008383. In searching the web it comes up with 2 either the genuine LR branded one for £340 ish :o a bit steep for a RAI but the search also throws up an allmakes4x4 for about £85 :) is this one and the same part - just branded diferently or are they diferent (can't seem to find piccys of the Allmakes one

Cheers

Jim

The land rover one I had was an exact copy of the Mantec RAI just badged Land Rover and 2x the price of a Mantec. :unsure:

When my Land Rover one was stolen :o I replaced it with a Mantec one from Flatdog who were the cheapest suppliers I could find for Mantec parts, I phoned and ordered it and it was delivered next day. :) Very happy with the service.

Gaz

I am also interested in this snorkel. Is the Mantech one a direct replacement because I thought it was fixed with two screws and one clip whereas the LR one looks as if it is fixed with 4 screws? I also heard that the Mantech one had problems covering the whole cut out in the panel and that some people had found that they had to use sealer to get it airtight. Any comments on these problems?

I had a Mantec snorkel and wading kit on my 300tdi 90 when I had it. I got it direct from Mantec, and it came with a sheet of LR fitting instructions. I was under the impression that Mantec made them for LR, but that was around back in 1999. Out of interest that cost £200.93 then. If I remember the Mantec fitted with the metal elbow around the air intake using the 5 or 6 screws already there, and two brackets onto the windscreen frame. The quality was very good.

Thanks for the replies. The snorkel I'm looking at is a plastic one part No. LR008383 LR008383.jpg not the metal one. I'd heard about problems with the Mantec plastic Jobby sealing at the bottom and this looked more substantial. If the Allmakes one is metal then recomendations on plastic ones, Mantec, Safari or LR genuine would be appreciated.