plant hire help needed

dirtydiesel

I'm strugging to find anyone that will hire me a teletruc (or similar) for one day including deliverey to site (10miles from newark).

I only actually need the fork truck for less than an hour, to move my lathe and mill from a building with a small(ish) door, and onto my trailer.

Does anyone know anywhere that would do this?

Or even better is there any forum member that has a setup that could help, the job could be done with a 1ton@4m hiab with a very skilled operator (ie not me)

Any ideas apprieciated

Could it be lifted with a large engine crane and moved on rollers?

I could probably lift the lathe with my engine crane, it's only a harrison 12

but the i don't think i'd be able to get a decent lift on the bridgeport.

this plan is scuppered though by the gravel yard as i'd never get the engine crane to my trailler.

Regularly hire them for work mate and doubt you will find one from a typical hire company without paying that kind of typical figure (plus plant insurance, ipaf or similar) - and finding a company that will supply a driver for a day or so is hard and usually expensive.

One option - what about a small digger (the 3ton or 8 ton type) pretty sure between us we could walk it on your trailer with that - and usually available for day hire.

If you have a decent local builder's merchants (ie. not part of a chain) then they would probably be willing to help when passing for a small number of beer tokens, they all operate 1 ton hiabs for sand etc so have the equipment and anything the taxman doesn't see....

I could probably lift the lathe with my engine crane, it's only a harrison 12

but the i don't think i'd be able to get a decent lift on the bridgeport.

this plan is scuppered though by the gravel yard as i'd never get the engine crane to my trailler.

If it were me I would use the crane to lift one end at a time to slip some pipe rollers underneath it. Then I would lay a wooden roadway over the gravel to the trailer and then use the crane there to lift onto the trailer.

If the crane won't roll on the gravel then it can be carried out there and then the trailer backed under the load.

For the Bridgeport I would use the old fashioned 'jack and pack' to get it to trailer height.

Anyway, that's the way I would do it but I'm a glutton for 'prehistoric' working methods. :D

I moved a lathe a few years ago by making a steel frame, jacking up the lathe with a farm jack and putting it on the frame then used my winch to pull it across the garden then up my ramps and onto my trailer.

Damaged ramps slightly but got job done.

We couldn't get a vehicle within 25' of the lathe as they had built a conservatory in the way.