Land Rover 110 with Range Rover running gear

Hi all

I am now the proud (I think) owner of a D reg 110 CSW. It's got over 250K on the clock, but it has had a few very interesting mods done over the years. the original running gear has been replaces, the rear axle is a Salisbury with disc brakes, the front has also been replaced. I don't know what the engine used to be, probably a N/A manual diesel but now it has a Mazda 3.5 TD fitted to a Range Rover auto box with a viscous transfer box which I presume is also off a Range Rover.

When I bought it yesterday, I knew it had an issue with this transfer box which means that at the moment it is running in rear wheel drive, having had the front prop removed.

My question is can I fit a normal Land Rover transfer box, thus giving me Hi/Lo and diff lock, or should I either try to fix it or replace like for like? The engine is awesome and I quite like the auto idea, but I would like to be able to run it in 4wd and be able to give it a little bit of abuse!

Many thanks

Yes you can swap it for an LT230, you need all the handbrake mechanism, the shifter and mounting plate from a Discovery auto (V8 or TDI) and the correct transfer box mount for the LT230 box, and of course the box itself.

Honestly though, the quickest way would be to replace the viscous coupling, if that is what the problem is, otherwise dropping the box off isn't hard, and unlike an LT230 they don't leak oil!

Well you can on a 38A Range Rover, but that has a bolt in gearbox crossmember.

I know 'nothing' about Defenders.

If nobody here knows (or even if they do) you could usefully ask Ashcrofts.

Ah Ha, just one minor point - check that the front and rear axles have the same gear ratios. (I'll assume the tyres are of the same stated size). Mis-matching the axle ratios would be a very quick way of rubbishing a transmission VC.

The handbrake, etc will carry over from the Borg Warner transfer box to the LT230. You may have to drill an additional hole in the handbrake backplate as one of the studs might be in the wrong place. The front propshaft is specific to the Borg Warner, so you will need one from a 300Tdi Defender (others may use the same part). The Hi/Lo & diff lock selector and linkage will have to come from a LT230 equipped RRC.

It may be less hassle and a more pleasant drive to fix the viscous coupling. It is apparently possible to swap the VC in situ, but I have no direct hands on experience of doing so.

The truck has had this in place since 1996, and only went wrong about 2 years ago so I presume that all the ratio's are correct. I don't have the front prop any more which is a shame, especially if this is specific to the transfer box.

So do you think this is a Borg Warner box and is from a P38?

The truck has had this in place since 1996, and only went wrong about 2 years ago so I presume that all the ratio's are correct.

OK, that's good news.
I don't have the front prop any more which is a shame, especially if this is specific to the transfer box.
It will just be a propshaft, with standard flanges, just find one the right length.
So do you think this is a Borg Warner box and is from a P38?
As far as I know, only BW boxes had a VC. It's unlikely the box came from a 38A, as the 38A has it's axle differentials are on the left, whereas Classics have the axle differentials on the right. A BW box plus VC was fitted in some RR Classics. Find the appropriate RAVE CD via the Tech Archive for more detail.