300tdi Vacuum Pump

Disco_Dunk

Dear all...... I've got what looks like an oil leak coming from the vacuum (or vaccum?) pump on my 300tdi Disco. I've had a good peek from underneath, and the leak appears to be coming from the outer edge of the 'head' of the pump, rather than from the flange where it bolts onto the block, or the pipe unions.

I can't find anything in either the Haynes book of lies OR the proper LR manual about re-furbing the pump, but I don't want to pay £100 for a new one :o

Is the pump service-able at all?....... it looks like the top cover is riveted to the body, where the drips are forming.

Can anyone shed any light, or give me a money-saving trick?

Thanks in advance

Dunk

Guest diesel_jim

They're unservicable unfortunately.

if you look on eblag, you see qute a lot of new ones on there (don't know why... maybe the MoD ditched a batch of wolf stuff?)

anyway, i got one for about £60 IIRC. retail they're nearer £200 genuine! :o

Thanks Jim....... Paddocks have them for 80-something quid (about £100ish once the tax-man's had his pound of flesh)....... I'll have a poke around on e-blag for a bargain :rolleyes:

They're unservicable unfortunately.

if you look on eblag, you see qute a lot of new ones on there (don't know why... maybe the MoD ditched a batch of wolf stuff?)

anyway, i got one for about £60 IIRC. retail they're nearer £200 genuine! :o

Thanks Jim....... Paddocks have them for 80-something quid (about £100ish once the tax-man's had his pound of flesh)....... I'll have a poke around on e-blag for a bargain :rolleyes:

I repaired one last week. drilled out the rivets to remove the pump head. the spring loaded inlet and exhaust valves had disintegrated (very common). Pulled an old 2 1/4 litre CAV petrol pump apart and found that the valves were virtually identical. Fitted those and refitted the head with 3/16 pop rivets. There is a rubber ''O ring type gasket between the head and pump body that could be repaired withor even replaced with silicon sealer.

Bill.

Bill..... thanks for the response - after trawling various forums (fora?)...... I'd decided to have a go at repairing it - if the braking performace had dropped, then fair enough, I'd consider a new one, but I don't wanna pay lots of cash, just for the sake of an oil leak!! - if all else fails I'll wrap it round and round with duct-tape!!! :D #

Cheers

Dunk

I repaired one last week. drilled out the rivets to remove the pump head. the spring loaded inlet and exhaust valves had disintegrated (very common). Pulled an old 2 1/4 litre CAV petrol pump apart and found that the valves were virtually identical. Fitted those and refitted the head with 3/16 pop rivets. There is a rubber ''O ring type gasket between the head and pump body that could be repaired withor even replaced with silicon sealer.

Bill.

good old duct tape, LR special tool number 3

LR tool 1 = BFH 'for adjustments'

LR tool 2 = WD40 'for if it doesnt move & it should'

LR tool 3 = duct tape 'for if it moves & it shouldnt'

:D

surprising the amount of unservicable parts that can be repaired. Disco 200tdi power steering pumps are another one that springs to mind.