Soundproofing

JST

whats the best value for money then sound proofing wise.

i am after a premade set such as the acoustic kit that was etc to fit the front inside a 90 hardtop TD/Lt77 spec.

for the rear i intend to board it out after fitting some adhesive sound deadening 'slabs' to the sides of the hardtop.

i wont be doing anything in the engine bay (or dont intend to)

So ideas on whos best for the front really ££ per quietness.

I bought the kit from BJ Acoustics (as it was then). I can't remember the exact wording but it implied that the mats which go on the floor are waterproof. Indeed, they are thick plastic top and bottom but they have a honeycomb middle and are cut from a big sheet.

The upshot is that if you go wading, they soak up an unbelievable amount of water and it stays there for ages... I only noticed when I pulled the mats out to do some work and got about a pint out of one!! :huh:

Absolute rubbish.

The stick on pads are good but small. I think you'd probably get more effect from giving the entire panel a thick coat of stone chip rather than sticking a little pad in the middle.

.... and they are really expensive for what they are :blink:

one to stay away from there then.

the vehicle wont be used for off roading so water ingress shouldn't be an issue.

i am keen to stay away from stick on ones in the front as bulkhead will need doing in the near future as will the engine! so easy in easy out could be the answer.

stick on for rear though i think as way fwd or consider stone chip suggestion.

Wright off road may be an option (thats what i have ion my off roader) its great for easy clean and smart etc although just not that convinced the noise dropped that much.

anyone knwo what they are currently selling for?

roofing felt stuck down with spray glue. trust me on this its not as daft as it sounds.

go in a 'chav' store & look at dynomat - this is the stuff they use to when doing a professional compitition stereo install (not a chav, listen to my car rattle install). its basicly the same. i used to have a mate who did & won a few national stereo comps, he swore by roofing felt. car was silent inside till me put the music on.

roofing felt stuck down with spray glue. trust me on this its not as daft as it sounds.

go in a 'chav' store & look at dynomat - this is the stuff they use to when doing a professional compitition stereo install (not a chav, listen to my car rattle install). its basicly the same. i used to have a mate who did & won a few national stereo comps, he swore by roofing felt. car was silent inside till me put the music on.

You can buy rolls of self adhesive, aluminium covered roofing felt for sealing joins (as a healthy replacemet for lead).

I suspect this would work well!

Personally, I just turn the radio up a bit! (also useful as a temporary fix for shot wheelbearings, UJ's and other bad noises)

Si

i'm just looking at using "acoustiblok"

comes in big rolls- quite expensive but claims to reduce sound by around 20db per m2 (or something like that)

i have a sample, and it looks good. almost rubbery- malleable, totally inert (aledgedly)- can be glued, bolted, screwed etc etc

can get it in 3mm or 6mm thick.

have a look at Acoustiblok

bought the kit from BJ Acoustics (as it was then). I can't remember the exact wording but it implied that the mats which go on the floor are waterproof. Indeed, they are thick plastic top and bottom but they have a honeycomb middle and are cut from a big sheet.

The upshot is that if you go wading, they soak up an unbelievable amount of water and it stays there for ages... I only noticed when I pulled the mats out to do some work and got about a pint out of one!!

That is interesting - I asked him specifically about that last year in an e-mail when I got my Discovery. He got very, very huffy and said that his product had never been shown to make anyone's vehicle rusty. I politely pointed out that I had only asked if his mats would hold water or if they were totally sealed...

Might still get one of those silver proofing kits for the inside of the bonnet to reduce the TDi clatter, but then I probably wouldn't be able to hear what was going on if/when something went wrong. :unsure:

I did think of ordering the noisekiller mats and duct taping up the edges? Bit of a botch job though and the full kits aren't cheap!

Wright off road do 6mm thick sheets of their stuff that you can trim to fit whatever you want - have seen them used in one of the mags for flooring rather than carpet in an off road Disco.

how much is expensive?

from the sample request form it looks like they are geared for Company supply and therefore prob large amounts! coudl bulk order?

think i worked out that to do the whole of a crew cab size vehicle would be about 150 squids including floor, roof, inside of doors, rear bulhead and possibly the bonnet.

he's happy to sell half rolls (or rolls of any size) as well as offcuts. a whole roll is about 350 for 3mm and twice that for 6mm (which is twice the weight but 80% more effective)

i am trying to get the chap to supply offcuts as he has loads of these which should be cheaper to buy and would suit be better.

i am going to buy enough for two vehicles so let me konw if you want some as it might make it cheaper- i am going to get the substrate rustproofed, then covered in acoustiblok, then possibly cover the whole lot in flexible bed liner. should leave the vehicle dead quiet whilst being waterproof, but easy to work in.

That is interesting - I asked him specifically about that last year in an e-mail when I got my Discovery. He got very, very huffy and said that his product had never been shown to make anyone's vehicle rusty. I politely pointed out that I had only asked if his mats would hold water or if they were totally sealed...

Cal,

I thought about squeezing silicon sealer round the sides to try and seal them up but eventually threw the mats away when I got pucker rubber ones. The rest of the kit is still fitted but I think a good trowelling on of Waxoyl is probably more effective overall.