Cosworth V6 conversion

dollythelw

I take it the cossie V6 is different from the ford 3.0 essex V6? there used to be a conversion for the essex engine to a series gearbox, but I don't think it is still in production. Might be a good place to start though???

Mark

Ive been nosing about Andy

"Having acquired a spare adapter plate (between Essex V6 and LR Gearbox), I've now discovered that the Essex and Cologne engines do not share the same bolt pattern on the bellhousing. I had (obviously) been under the impression that they were the same."

from a man trying the same thing :blink:

I'll have a word with a nice man in a low place tomorrow and see what can be magic'd up

true Jon,

Im just thinking easy conversion, heapum toys to play with, turbo or bi-turbo is a piece of cake and its a cheap lump with engineering sortof out of the later 20th century

I have a lead on a kit is anyone else interested? at the mo (as usual) its a one off for me but it would be handy to tempt the boys by saying there's others interested - so is anyone else interested? Cossie powered challenge or comp safari wagons??

I have come across cossie V6 powered safari wagons, but I'm not sure how they've achieved it! I suspect they used the origional ford box and a remote transfer box.

Someone once told me that any ford engine would bolt up to any ford box, but I've no idea how much truth there is in it! If its true then one of the standard V6 adaptors ought to work surely?

Jon

Ive got a frient with a ford lump/ford box remote T box so thats doable, but I like keeping it neat and short,

unfortunately not every ford will fit every ford box- the stud pattern is different, the flywheels are different as well, I would like a manual so need it to hook up to an R380 as it gives me the ratios Im looking for, the other option would be an MT75 but that would definately end up with a remote T box :( (on the plus side it would be well up to handling the power though)

Someone once told me that any ford engine would bolt up to any ford box, but I've no idea how much truth there is in it! If its true then one of the standard V6 adaptors ought to work surely?

not quite but a lot do; the early 4 speed and later 5 speed (type 9) will mate up to crossflow, pinto and zetec but definietely not duratec. Dunno about the 6 cylinder engines.

Cossy is the same as cologne, I think it's also the same as transit as well .These could help.

MT75 will be on its limit with the cossy, you'd be better with a T5 or a tremec 'box

Rakeway do a conversion for the tremec T56 (6 speed) to an lt230.

I wouldn't bother with the r380 or any other landy box for that matter, to damned weak.

Cossie BOA is the one to go for 220bhp 297lbft and they safely rev to 7000rpm :)

The G very nearly had one up it when i was in the depths of sump and turbo hell.

dunno if its any help at all but a cologne bolts straight up to a type 9 ford box, from say a pinto engined car. bell housing is a different length, but all the bolts fit.

thats despite what my local ford breakers told me when i blew the box in a XR4i i had.

Thanks Andy, might be handy for the front end of the bellhousing but I think the type 9 isnt up to living with a cossie, got a quote for a tremec 500...... not cheap but then 600ft/lbs rating is a bit tasty, low first and 6 speed mmmmmm :rolleyes:

Thanks Andy, might be handy for the front end of the bellhousing but I think the type 9 isnt up to living with a cossie, got a quote for a tremec 500...... not cheap but then 600ft/lbs rating is a bit tasty, low first and 6 speed mmmmmm :rolleyes:

You'd be able to twin turbo it then :D

You ought to see what some of the germans do with them, i found one that a guy had built one up, it was a 4.3litre ford explorer bottom end, cossie heads with a dirty great blower sat on top, A little over 600 bhp was "all" it could muster.

Should be alright with a decent straight cut gearset, if you can live with the noise :blink:

I think you'd be into telephone numbers to build a type 9 to take 300lbft reliably, nice compact unit though.

I saw an Estonian bloke with a 4.3 bottom end grafted in and it looked nice and doable - I think a Tremec would be the way, its not just the grief the motor gives it but the shock loads coming back from the drivetrain...

dont go giving me ideas Dan - Ive seen those twin turbo manifolds..........

mmm

devorced T case makes it seriously affordable

oh this is gonna get soooooo messy..........

:lol::lol::lol: