Cosworth V6 conversion

dollythelw

There's a South African engineering outfit that do a post Essex, which I asume to be a Cologne, Ford V6 to LT77 adapter as I recall - can't remember how I found them. I also recall a Swedish site with what I thought were a number of Ford adapter kits.

If you want short, butch box :ph34r: , Ike Goss - Pangolin (top bloke) in the US was recently making up adapters for the NP435 to the Series t-box, this gives you a very short (10.88"), very strong (unfortunately, 4 speed) box with a 6.69:1 first gear, and Advance Adapters or Novak will undoutedly have something to mate the NP435 to the Cossie. It would be a hell of a set up.

Unless you're wedded to the Ford V6, another set up to consider is the GM 4.3 V6 (about the "torquiest" V6 around and 3/4ths of the venerable Chevy 350) with either the NP435 or the NV4500 (heavy and a tad long at 12.87") which is a very heavy duty 5 speed that will take anything under 500 lbs/ft with room to spare. If you don't mind Yank stuff, and I'm an SBC hater myself, there's a million aftermarket parts and bolt ons and a lot of interchangability between the 4.3 and the 350.

i cant really see the type 9 living with that power (for long) just thought i'd mention it as the bolt pattern is right. seems a type 9 fits in anything now days. i keep seeing kits to put them in MGB/Midgets - why anyone would swop a nice box for a type 9 is beyond me though.

Jez, you've obviously not been taking you're pills :P

I'd agree the R380 wouldn't take the power although it might be OK with TVR spec internals. Ashcroft's will take about £1k to build you a strong R380. Also, if you used this as the build box, you could always go over to a Rakeway FR605 when you break it and funds allow.

BTW, I'm sure there's someone in the Rags (possibly Steve Parker) who does a Cologne conversion kit for LR boxes if its any use.

I think a type M or L 380 would be like sitting next to a nailbomb, possibly ok for untuned V6 but spending a grand for a temporary solution isnt good for me :(

I have a surplus of maraging so the only limit to my axles power handling has gone, a loooong slow build and I will have something resembling a half decent engine/drivetrain,

Septic boxes are a good option, but then the lard issue comes into it again.. weight for my cars is an issue :( I'll check out the lardy scales and see how they fare :)

The GM 4.6 is interesting but I was trying to steer clear of picking stuff up from over the pond, I like the idea of cheap and local horsepower - its just the box issue thats a niggle