Powerless Rear Door

Robot2

My Freelander 1 has an issue where I cannot open the back door.The micro-switch is operating, at least, I can hear it clicking.

The rear window will not go down at all even with the switch on the centre console.

There is a fuse for the rear door which I have tested as being OK.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram so I can see if maybe there is a faulty relay?

Also how do I get into the rear door when I cannot open it to get the panel off?

Check in the Tech Archive/Requests for part numbers forum. It has links to where you can get RAVE - the electronic workshop manuals for the Freebie (and all LRs).

Looks like you need to check fuse 31 and fuse 15 (both 20A). The rear window is driven by relay R205 which appears to be behind the RH rear quarter trim (that you cannot get at with the boot shut!)

It does sound like the problem is with the rear window system, as the door release motor will not release until it thinks the window is down.

Sorry I cannot help more

Rob

One last thought. When the battery is reconnected after being disconnected, the rear window powers all the way down. This still depends on all the fuses, the CCU, relays and the regulator mechanism still working though. Might be worth a try if all else fails.

Rob.

Have you got any further with this problem?

No, as I cannot open the door I cannot get into the thing to look around.

I also cannot find a link to the Rave manual.

I might have to resort to a dealership repair !

If the weather stays nice today I might do the 'disconnect the battery' trick and see what happens.

Have a search here to see if anyone else has solved this kind of problem.

On a 3door can you remove the roof with the rear door shut? My 5 door froze its window a few months ago, but as it had moved a little bit the latch mechanism opened and I was unable to open the door (as it was still held by the trim), but also unable to lock the car as it thought a door was open. Fortunately it was in a reasonably secure location so I just left it to get a bit warmer and tried again. The rear door system is probably one of the bad bits of the Freelander design.

Hope this gets sorted soon.

Rob

I had exactly the same problem occur on Thursday for the second time .

Non operating door latch, window and rear wash/wipe.

I had the same problem almost two years ago to the day.

I checked both fuses and could here the window down relay coil engaging and the micro switch in the rear handle also operated.

After disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes the and then reconnecting the rear window should power down upon connection , mine didn't , but the latch mechanism now works again as does the wash/wipe.

I now should be able to carefully prise the window out from under the plastic trim which will allow me access to remove the rear tailgate and 1/4 panels to check the relay contacts , earths, cable harness and regulator cable .

Unfortunatly the weather is appalling over here in SW Ireland so it has been put off until it improves.

There is a overide function that allows you to self check most of the component functions from the CCU . I picked it up on another FL site so as to avoid upsetting any of the mods on here if you pm me I'll forward the link for you to try.

Keep us updated if you rectify the fault as I will to .

Good luck

I got the door open after disconnecting/reconnecting the battery.

The rear window still does not move

When I press the 'down' button in the front of the car the beeper goes "beep-beep-beep-beep" but no movement on the window.

Under the rear right trim cover I found two relays one in a red socket and one in a blue socket, I swapped these over with each other but still nothing.

Fuse 31 seems to look fine and I had previously swapped it with another 20A fuse.

If I had a diagram of the window motor I could check out the wires in the back door.....

Or if I had a circuit diagram of the 'Tyco' relay???

The good news is the dog can go up the woods, albeit with the window pressing against the top trim.

I picked it up on another FL site so as to avoid upsetting any of the mods on here if you pm me I'll forward the link for you to try.

I've often wondered what would happen if things stopped working in the back-door department!! :lol::ph34r:

Post up the link, I'm sure the mods would be more than happy as it could provide some valuable insight to many other LR4x4 members... me included!

Cheers

Dan

Here's a link to a thread I started a couple of years ago .

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f9/freelander-tailgate-locked-69495.html

Post 36 has a self check operation for most of the circuits on the FL.

I stress I haven't tried it yet but the poster is reputable so I wouldn't doubt it's authenticity.

My rear tailgate has started operating as normal again but I intend to check the relays, earths ,regulator and harness thoroughly ASAP.

• 2 years later...

Check in the Tech Archive/Requests for part numbers forum. It has links to where you can get RAVE - the electronic workshop manuals for the Freebie (and all LRs).

Looks like you need to check fuse 31 and fuse 15 (both 20A). The rear window is driven by relay R205 which appears to be behind the RH rear quarter trim (that you cannot get at with the boot shut!)

It does sound like the problem is with the rear window system, as the door release motor will not release until it thinks the window is down.

Sorry I cannot help more

I've got the same problem and on the top of rear tail window is a plastic cover you can pull cover of as there are plastic clips that hold it on and you can open door as normal and don't need the window to drop there is a rubber seal there to stop leaks which is not connected to the plastic strip. I've removed mine so I can still use boot as the cable as broken in the door.

Rob

My Freelander 1 has an issue where I cannot open the back door.The micro-switch is operating, at least, I can hear it clicking.

The rear window will not go down at all even with the switch on the centre console.

There is a fuse for the rear door which I have tested as being OK.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram so I can see if maybe there is a faulty relay?

Also how do I get into the rear door when I cannot open it to get the panel off?