Intercoolers - 200tdi

With the weather hotting up in France, I notice that with the outiside air temperature reaching 40c, the oil temperature gauge is creeping up to half way when cruising at 110-120kph - especially with the air-con working as well. I have been wondering whether replacing the intercooler for a larger/more efficient or simply a new OE one would improve this and keep the oil temperature down. Alternatively can the existing one be cleaned to improve the oil flow. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this and the ease of removing refitting the intercooler etc.

Thanks

I may of lost the plot on this one.. but how does changing the intercooler make the oil less hot.. ??

surely you need to sort out the rad (which has the built in oil cooler) ?

Am I being stupid?

With the weather hotting up in France, I notice that with the outiside air temperature reaching 40c, the oil temperature gauge is creeping up to half way when cruising at 110-120kph - especially with the air-con working as well. I have been wondering whether replacing the intercooler for a larger/more efficient or simply a new OE one would improve this and keep the oil temperature down. Alternatively can the existing one be cleaned to improve the oil flow. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this and the ease of removing refitting the intercooler etc.

Thanks

few - thats ok then... :D

Now face wall, and think about what you've done.. :D

I think the best way to cool your oil a little better is by having an external oil cooler as opposed to the one thats in the rad. I wonder if you could get an oil cooler out of a V8 rangie or something.. ?

No, it's not you it's me. What I meant is the oil cooler - wrong terminology. I'll go stand in the corner now.

Ged

like he said.

Unless your getting seriously hot though out there.. how come your overheating or getting close? it the rad old or something?

Forget the one in the rad, get a military (lightweight) one and put it in the same position - in front of the rad.

Les :)

I don't know that I'm overheating particularly. The water temp is pretty constant but its just that I've noticed that the oil temperature seems to be quite reactive to the outside air temp - perhaps this is normal but I don't know as I've never had the luxury of an oil temp gauge before. The Defender is 1994 but with only 60k on the clock and had a fairly easy life with well documented service history so I don't suspect that the rad is especially knackered - although there is quite a bit of dead 'wildlife' in it'!

i would start by washing the dead bugs out, flush from inside to out of engine bay and use gentle hose pressure.

then if problem remains (if it is a problem) fit another external oil cooler, any mil ones would prob fit (XD variants have g box coolers that may fit - think they a g box, although could be additional engine oil coolers (will check))

what temp does the oil get to?

Forget the one in the rad, get a military (lightweight) one and put it in the same position - in front of the rad.

Les :)

I shouldnt do that if i were you as the oil cooler fitted to lightweights was the same as the normal series, i.e. a bypass type and i can tell you the flow rate for the oil in them is low, the tube is full of wire coils bonded to the inside of the tube to transfer heat to the tube and then to the bonded coils in the air. So use one of them and you will most likely kiss goodbye to your engine as from the introduction of the 110"models the cooler was full flow thermostatically controlled. :blink:

Ged, your existing Oil cooler is just a long tube in the right side tank of the rad, it doesn't have any crossflow tubes like the rad water tubes, at halfway up the gauge is OK, mine gets hotter than that over here, so don't worry :i-m_so_happy:

to remove the intercooler [iC] for cleaning, take off the fan & cowling, take off the rad frame top plate -- don't loose the bolts, take off the intercooler connections & lift it out of the frame, use some clean petrol or paraffin or clean diesel, lie the IC on it's front face, fill it with whichever fluid you chose until the fluid comes to the bottom of the hose connections, leave it for 1/2 hour, then pour some out & slosh the rest around inside for 10mins or so, pour out into a container, add some clean fluid to the IC & wash out again, if possible blow dry with a airline or leave overnight to let the residual fluid evaporate, once dry refit to the vehicle, I did this to the IC Les has fitted to Catflap, the dirty oiliy fluid that came out was yukkie. :hysterical::i-m_so_happy:

Thanks very much for that Ralph, reassuring to know that halfway up is OK-just me being paranoid. Do I need to drain down the oil or is this oil cooler clear when the engine is off?

There will be some oil in the oil cooler, you won't get it all out, just either plug the adaptor when you take the pipe off or stuff a old rag in that corner. tie the pipe/hose back to the servo or injector pipe to hold them out of the way & to prevent oil on the floor.

Thanks Ralph, I'll give it go and see what difference it makes. i'll also give the rad a careful blow-thorugh. The other day I pulled a dead bird out of the grille - talk about bad luck. I reckon it had been trying to overtake me!

Nah :lol: don't believe you :lol: more likely rammed it up the chuff :o in a traffic queue :hysterical:

or maybe one of your dogs put it there. :rolleyes:

Nah :lol: don't believe you :lol: more likely rammed it up the chuff :o in a traffic queue :hysterical:

or maybe one of your dogs put it there. :rolleyes:

I don't think it was a chuff (or even a Cornish Chough) - more like a sparrow with a very puzzled look on its face.

The aluminium rad thing may be worth a go - depending on the cost.