Salisbury R&P

d-90

Hi there,

Would like to lower the gearing on my axles to 4.11/4.10. Have a Salisbury axle on the back, where can I find Ring&pinion for this axle?

Was checking some websites from the States, and there are plenty of R&P options for Dana60 axles. Will these kits fit my Salisbury?

Thanks

Dana 60 ring and pinions can be fitted to Salisbury's. You need to drill the carrier bolt holes out to half inch diameter. the outer pinion bearing cone needs to be changed, and the propshaft driveflange from the 60 needs to be used. (delete flange from Rover propshaft and secure uj by the 60 style ''U''bolts.)

can't tell what country you are from but over here in Oz 4.1 ratio Dana 60 rear axle assemblies can be sourced quite easily and cheaply from many of the Dodge and International light trucks that were sold in the 1960's and 70's

Bill.

Hi,

Thanks for your replys. I´m from Portugal, so Dana 60s are very rare here, will have to import it from the States probably :(

I was searching the web and found out that it´s possible to upgrade the Salisbury to 35 splines and 1.5" shafts. In this sense, would it be possible to put the Salisbury 3rd member with Dana60 internals (35 spline dana60 ARB, Dana 60 R&P and 35 splines shafts from McNamara)?? If so, will I need to make anyother modifications other than those mentioned??

Also I´me used to seeing Salisbury axles in Ford Transit vans over here. Does anyone know what ratio are these and if they are compatible with Rover Salisburys?

Mc Namara's 35 spline upgrade kit is quite expensive as it involves side gears, axles,driveflanges and new oversize spindles etc, and your hubs need to be bored out for oversize bearings.

Maybe you could source a complete 101 FC rear end from UK and adapt the coil spring mounts to it. The 101 axles are almost as big as 35 spline Dana's.

Bill.

Mc Namara's 35 spline upgrade kit is quite expensive as it involves side gears, axles,driveflanges and new oversize spindles etc, and your hubs need to be bored out for oversize bearings.

Maybe you could source a complete 101 FC rear end from UK and adapt the coil spring mounts to it. The 101 axles are almost as big as 35 spline Dana's.

Bill.

Get front AND rear. The fronts are a really strong setup.

Hi,

Thanks for your replys. I´m from Portugal,

Also I´me used to seeing Salisbury axles in Ford Transit vans over here. Does anyone know what ratio are these and if they are compatible with Rover Salisburys?

I missed this question earlier. Transit van diffs are more equivelant in size to a Dana 44 but considerably stronger.I ran cut down Transit diffs with Landey hubs and swivels, with Tracta joints on my Landey many years ago. I still have them in my boneyard. They were excellant diffs with more ground clearance than the small rover diffs. I only changed them for Salisburies because the homemade sliding axle difflocks were difficult to engage and at that time I wanted to try detroit lockers(big mistake). At one stage for about a year I ran the Transit 4.625Ratio in the rear and a Dana 60/Salisbury hybrid front axle with 4.7:1 ratio and never had any issues with transmission windup in 4wd.

As I recall there were a choice of 3 different ratios.

The single wheel transits were 4.625 :1. Duall wheel Transits were 5.125 :1 and around 5.7:1. the interesting point being that the low ratio ring and pinions were equally as strong as the high ratio ones due to using thicker,but fewer teeth . I do not believe Transit diffs were made by Salisbury asthey were beautifully machined and finished, and the crownwheel to pinion backlash and bearing preload was altered by turning threaded adjusters just like on the small Rover type diffs.

Bill.

Bill.

HI;

Thanks for the offer, but my point now it to modify all the internals in the Salisbury with Dana60 internals. I will get some dana60 4.1 Ring and Pinion (from a supplier or maybe 2nd hand from Ebay in the states). Will then fit a matching Dana 60 Detroit Locker for 1.5" 35 spline shafts. From what I´ve been informed, I can get these axles from RoverTracks in the US and McNamara in Australia, will also need to get new spindles.

At this point I believe this can be doable...do you really think it is??

Also, any change of ashcroft-transmissions making a pair of these axles/spindles by order? Would be quite easier to have an European manufacturer making these products for LandRovers.

Cheers

The quality of materials that go into Detroit lockers is really quite poor these days. The originals had all the dog teeth, splines etc cut from high strength steel forgings and in Salisbury(model 225) sizes theywere virtually indestructable. In the past 15 years or so the Detroits have been made from investment castings, using one of the originals as a pattern, so at first glance they look the same. They are no longer indestructable, particularly when a half shaft lets go. There have been any number of threads on the subject on pirate4x4.com . May I advise that you spend your money on a full McNamara 35 spline air locker kit and not waste it as I did some years ago on Detroit rubbish.

Bill.

The quality of materials that go into Detroit lockers is really quite poor these days. The originals had all the dog teeth, splines etc cut from high strength steel forgings and in Salisbury(model 225) sizes theywere virtually indestructable. In the past 15 years or so the Detroits have been made from investment castings, using one of the originals as a pattern, so at first glance they look the same. They are no longer indestructable, particularly when a half shaft lets go. There have been any number of threads on the subject on pirate4x4.com . May I advise that you spend your money on a full McNamara 35 spline air locker kit and not waste it as I did some years ago on Detroit rubbish.

Bill.

I agree with Bill - Get either a Macnamara locker or an ARB D60 locker. I was quoted about US$670 for a D60 ARB in the states. AFAIK macnamara are the only source of the 35-spline stub axles. Lots of sources for the halfshafts though.

d-90

(what's your name?)

I got an email from Joaquim this morning and will work on price of the 35" in these days

(I presume you are the friend he was referring to)...

d-90

(what's your name?)

I got an email from Joaquim this morning and will work on price of the 35" in these days

(I presume you are the friend he was referring to)...

Hi there,

That´s right, that´s me. Me and Joaquium are trying to put a really reliable axle on a 90 for competion. Nevertheless we are trying to keep costs down. Waiting for your reply on those shafts, because is the only thing we haven´t decided were to get them from and to know if they fit our budget.

I agree with Bill - Get either a Macnamara locker or an ARB D60 locker. I was quoted about US$670 for a D60 ARB in the states. AFAIK macnamara are the only source of the 35-spline stub axles. Lots of sources for the halfshafts though.

Our experience with the detroit (rover size) is only bad because every time it failled, it was because a halfshaft broke and afffected the detroit. With this setup, I think we won´t brake halfshafts anymore, so maybe the detroit locker will stand up. The reason we are thinking of going with the detroit way is mainly price and simplicity. I think we can get them quite cheap. The best choice would certainly be a Mcnamara locker, but we are trying to import as little as we can, to keep costs down.

Where else can I get a quote on these halfshafts other than RoverTracks or McNamara?? An European manufacturer would make things quite easier/cheaper for us, but don´t know any that makes them. It would be easier to get from McNamara only the stub axles (cheapper shipping and import duties) and get the halfshafts from an European manufacturer.

I agree that you are unlikely to break a 35 spline halfshaft, although I personally did with a 2 1/4 litre engine in deep reduction. But you are still left with all the banging and clanging,and ill handling that a detroit gives on most surfaces, not to mention that the additional 13 degrees of backlash the Detroit introduces into a constant 4wd system will make your truck less than pleasant to drive. They are not that clever offroad either.Very steep, slippery offcamber downgrades with uneven traction side to side can on occasion''confuse'' the locker into ''thinking'' that the truck wants to make a turn , so it unlocks one axle, or 2 if you have detroits front and rear, and you continue the descent with the vehicle mostly sideways, unless conditions permit you to accellerate so that the ringear speed matches that of the undriven wheels thereby locking back in. Of course there is nothing to stop the locker from disengaging the wheels all over again, so you are back in the same situation, but now you are travelling even faster. This was my last , among many scary offroad experiences with Detroit lockers and it was a horrifying one that I still occasionally have nightmares about.

Safer, and at least more predictable would be to weld up a standard 24 spline early 110 Salisbury(stronger halfshafts)and buy a few genuine halfshafts to have as spares.

Bill.

Hi,

Well, the locker decision will only be taken after we have all parts, so if the budget allows, maybe we´ll get an ARB (McNamara locker is probably out of our budget anyway)

Meanwhile, is there any European manufacturer that would make these halfshafts?

Cheers

Cheers

There are several options - you could look at all the genuine Dana-Spicer axles that are available, and see if there are any FF 35 spline axles that are the right length for you (or close). You would have to redrill/machine the integral drive flange to the rover pattern, and these would not be as strong as a good aftermarket axle, but they would be cheap.

Second option is that any axle maker who can cut splines with a 30° pressure angle should be able to make the shafts you need.

Personally, I would get some 35-spline side gears and weld the rear diff before I would fit a detroit (would be cheaper too)!

Funny some of the comments against Detroits. I fitted one to the rear of my 90 around 4 months ago. It was cheap ($250 USD), so I thought I would try. I have never experienced any clanging or banging. There is no more slop in the driveline than before (was a stock 4 pinion, 24 spline diff). I notice no difference on road or off (other than more traction), although I haven't been doing anything extreme since I got it. I have attemped to throw it off by taking the worst lines I could find, but nothing strange has happened yet. It will be insteresting to see how things go once winter arrives.

1f7f3917-5e69-43ee-a2ac-944d1ea0ccde.jpg

Rather than weld, it would seem better to get a Dana 60 spool. Easily available for fairly low cost.

Hi,

Well, the locker decision will only be taken after we have all parts, so if the budget allows, maybe we´ll get an ARB (McNamara locker is probably out of our budget anyway)

Cheers

Try Rakeway

these comments on detroits are interesting to me as well. ive had the banging & clanking on road. i did wonder if it could get confused downhill offroad but i was told it doesnt happen by other people with them. the fact someone has suffered this is food for thought. i wont be changing my locker till/if it dies but i will bear these facts in mind when driving.

hadnt heard about the extra backlash, but i do think i have slightly more than pre-lockers.

Try Rakeway

Thanks. Have sent an email to them inquiring. Waiting for an answer.

Ashcroft won´t make them, and don´t want to go to KAM diffs as, in my opinion, their heavy duty axles are very poor quality.

How about the Dana 60 prop flange. Where can I get one of these? In Portugal original Dana60s are practicaly inexistent.

Thank you very much for your kind help.

How about the Dana 60 prop flange. Where can I get one of these? In Portugal original Dana60s are practicaly inexistent.

Thank you very much for your kind help.

There are some D60's floating around the UK, so a scrapyard might have a prop flange. Otherwise contact keith from rovertracks, he sourced some used D60 diff gears cheaply for me.

Dana is also an option, don't know how much they are new though...