Which starter?

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

I was in Bearmach in Swindon today, getting some bits, one of the parts i need is a new starter for my 300Tdi (defender)

they can supply 3 kinds, genuine £202! valeo (which mine already has, lasted quite well) for about £130 ish, and a prestolite for £80.

So.... are the el-cheapo prestolite cheap quality too? the genuine one is out of the equasion, as i'll go for valeo if nothing else, i just wondered if by saving £50 i'll be buying shed loads of hassle? :unsure::unsure:

The genuine ones are Bosch IIRC, because we had some from Bearmach a while back and they even had the LR logo stamped into the casing (except without the expensive box), and you can't get closer to Genuine than that :)

Guest diesel_jim

Hmmm.... definately a no-no to presto-carp then! :lol:

I'll go with another valeo, it seems to have lasted quite well to the grief I gave it.

I thought about getting mine overhauled (as it's only the solenoid thats causing some grief) but then thought "well, the rest of it is probably worn too, brushes, maybe bearings etc" so i'll just stick a new one in there.

Thanks all!

Jim - Dieselec 'Gas and Go' on the station industrial estate near the railway station rebuild starters and alternators. I think you can get brushes etc from them as well, but on some starters you need a high temperature solder iron to attach the braid cable. I buy solenoids etc from them.

Les. :)

Guest diesel_jim
Jim - Dieselec 'Gas and Go' on the station industrial estate near the railway station rebuild starters and alternators. I think you can get brushes etc from them as well, but on some starters you need a high temperature solder iron to attach the braid cable. I buy solenoids etc from them.

Les. :)

Cheers for that Les, i'll pop down and see how much. :D