rear/ centre winch

gti-90

hi all.

i have looked through every topic i can find on rear and or centre winches. but cant make a decision?

i have a 300tdi 90 pickup. 8274 on the front. full cage etc.

i havnt competed yet but would hope to one day.

whats more usefull on a challenge? .. a centre winch behind the bulkhead feeding left and right for side on pulls? ..

or a rear winch for rear pulls letting out down banks etc? ..

its a superwinch lowline. i dont want to cut the tailgate.

i have a custom rear xmember made out of 90x90 box so fabbing up behind that shouldnt be too bad as its all good metal!

has anybody sucessfully put a winch in the rear and worked out how to do side on pulls aswell? ive seen somewhere on a top end truck with a single roller allowing the rope to turn back towards the top of the cage either side required.

thanks jack.

Before I happened to come across a Warn M8000 for a centre, I used an 8274 as a rear or centre, this was achieved by mounting a bar above it, and a Fairlead that the hook would pass through feed under the drum and then thread around the bar this then fed to another Fairlead that a hook can pass through on the rear top cage, worked a treart.

Cetainly easier to use than explain.

Between a rear or a centre, without shadow of a doubt REAR.......

Chris

Also depends on which events your doing. I've watched quite a few different events and all tend to be set out different. For example events with lots of single entrance 'sections' natural tend to involve more winching backwards.

But yeah generally rear, better still if you can route it to side pull aswell

Just go do an event as single winch and see what you think.

Nick

thankyou for the replies.

i have decided to put the winch in the rear between the chassis, as more of a dedicated rear pull winch.

but hopefully with very little modification i can set up the rope to pull sideways, a rear winch thinking about it now does look more usefull

thanks