Fitting Series split doors to my Tdi

Sob...

...after a long time I finally fitted the Series split doors I bought to my Defender...

...fitted striker plates...closed the doors to check alignment (and peeled some paint off the top)...

I can't close the doors!

I mean the locks don't reach the strikers...

:(

I used the 2 existent holes which look so right in height,but the strikers are too far from the locks and they don't catch each other...

:angry:

Any hint before I drill 4 holes in the metal?

:(:(:(

Ta

(sad)

P.S.

If you wanna laugh,I'll tell you I am driving with load straps to keep the doors closed...

Guest diesel_jim

I'm pretty sure that some of the locks were mounted at different heights, so some drilling will need to be done.

It seems the only way...

:mellow:

Does it mean older and military trucks had strikers in different place,a la Series?

:unsure:

Ditto the other's advice. When I fitted series type doors to my tdi 90, I had to drill 2 holes each side for the different strikers. I took measurements from a military 90 and took some pics also. I'll see if I still have them somewhere. Incidently, I had some problems getting the doors to close properly because of the bottom door seal. I removed them altogether in the end. This also helps water to drain out.

Just out of curiosity I'd like to see the pics...

As to the new holes,I had a similar idea,will follow your advice,thanks.

As to the seals,I forgot them and actually am without,so I can literally see the gap from the seat

:rolleyes:

This also helps water to drain out.

I have the slight feeling it will help water to come in as well,especially in fall/winter...not to mention pressure washes!

:blink:

I need to wax my old Barbour jacket...

Drilled.

:(

Doors fitted.

^_^

Can't lock passenger side door when closed...

I'll play a bit with handle assembly (and loosen bolts) until it works properly and then retight...?

Other than this annoying detail they look more "doors" :D

I love the sliding windows and more side legroom (no more window handle on my knee).

Mayden voyage under the first heavy rain yesterday and got water on the floor but everything else was dry

:lol:

Bottom seals on the list...

Great mod,next time I will take the cappings off and have them galvanize to match

B)

P.S.

Door capping ripped my brand new shirt

Can't lock passenger side door when closed...

Check that the lock is getting to the second stage of latching, if it's only closing as far as the first click then they won't lock.

I changed mine yesterday...

red100.jpg

Just need a coat of paint on the bottoms, tops are staying satin black B)

dunno whether this piccie will help, but 1979 SIII and as you can see although there are four holes, the two furthest are for a strengthening plate that goes to the bulkhead, but the two closest are oval to allow for up and down adjustment, and I think the catch pillar was slotted horizontally for that adjustment

DSCF1375.jpg

Check that the lock is getting to the second stage of latching, if it's only closing as far as the first click then they won't lock.

I changed mine yesterday...

red100.jpg

Just need a coat of paint on the bottoms, tops are staying satin black B)

Mark

where did u get those arches?

Michele,

wot r u doing with your old doors?

but 1979 SIII and as you can see although there are four holes, the two furthest are for a strengthening plate that goes to the bulkhead, but the two closest are oval to allow ...

Exactly,in the beginning I used the existing strenghtening plate bolts only to find they were too short...then replaced with 4 longer ones and by the way they need an Allen key now (not sure it's the right name?"chiave a brugola" is the Italian for),muuuch better than a screwdriver...

;)

One hole had to be-erm-ovalized a bit and my side door closes and locks nicely

(I struggle to open and get out of the truck but that's another story :rolleyes:

I presume it's the handles/strikers being brand new so they need a bit of grinding each other...).

Michele,

wot r u doing with your old doors?

Uh...honestly I'll tell you I stored them in the old house and planned to leave them there...

You can never know...

Moreover they suffer from superficial rust at the bottom and they're slightly bent after my gentle treatment while pulling stripes away...I wanted to dismantle and restore them a bit...

Fancy another delivery in Val Susa?

:D

Exactly,in the beginning I used the existing strenghtening plate bolts only to find they were too short...then replaced with 4 longer ones and by the way they need an Allen key now (not sure it's the right name?"chiave a brugola" is the Italian for),muuuch better than a screwdriver...

;)

One hole had to be-erm-ovalized a bit and my side door closes and locks nicely

(I struggle to open and get out of the truck but that's another story :rolleyes:

I presume it's the handles/strikers being brand new so they need a bit of grinding each other...).

If it's like this then yes ;)

Allen Screw

chrome-socket-cap-screws.jpg

or this

Allen Mushroom Head Screw and Allen Countersunk Head Screw:

flat_button_socket_cap_scre.jpg

Mark

where did u get those arches?

Graham/Ripley fitted them when he had the truck before me.

The drawback I have found with them this weekend is that they are too stiff and can bend the wings when they push against trees etc.