Intercooler into TD

I'm in the process of adding an intercooler / radiator assembly ( from a 300TDi ) to my 90TD.

I'm fine with the installation itself, but does anyone have any info relating to adjusting the fuel pump to work more effectively once the intercooler is in place?

I've seen posts relating to the TDi but nothing for the TD.

Will the TDi mods work for the TD???

Any info would be useful.

Cheers

Andy

The TD engine is a bit delicate as it is. The introduction of an intercooler would hopefully help prevent the heat stress that these engines suffer from. I don't know that it would be wise to tweak the pump - the benefit of adding an intercooler would be negated I would have thought.

The engine in catflap is the TD unit out of a 90, and I modified an intercooler to fit. The engine had been smoking a bit for a while when it was in the donor vehicle, and I wrongly assumed that it was down to rings. The air filter was soaked in oil within a week of a new one being fitted, so off came the head. Two pistons were cracked - one was almost completely in two.

med_gallery_2_28_67827.jpg

med_gallery_2_28_415141.jpg

med_gallery_2_28_412753.jpg

Les.

Thanks for that... to be honest I'm looking for reliability more than anything, I'm happy with it's current performance as it is.

I'd assumed that the pump would need to be set up for the i/c but if it will run ok without adjustment then I'll stick with its current settings and just cool it down a bit....

Cheers

Andy

If you leave the fuelling as it is, the addition of a intercooler will drop the temp of the air entering the cylinders. This will drop combustion/exhaust gas temp, which should reduce smoke a bit and more importantly reduce the amount of waste heat dumped to the oil and cooling system which will improve reliability. The piston crowns (and exhaust valves) will have an easier (thermal) life as well, which will help to avoid what Les found. Power output and torque should be at least the same, if not marginally improved - cooler air is more dense so more oxygen in cylinder, but power is ultimately limited by fuelling.

• 6 months later...

I you fit an intercooler like an allard one that has been designed for the 2.5turbo will just adjusting the boost pressure of the turbo give any performance increase or not as the fueling hasnt been adjusted accordingly?

How does one go about adjusting the fuel pump?

I have added an intercooler to a TD engine in a series body (catflap). The intercooler is a 200TDi item, and connections are via 4 x 300TDi pipe bends, and some fab work. The cold side of the turbo can be rotated to a better angle as well, so a bit of thought can make the job quite easy.

Les. :)