Head gaskets & radiators & thrice woe!

simonr

I've just fitted a nice new shiny Allisport high performance radiator to my tdi - and discovered that the head gasket seems to have gone too! Didn't spot it as the old rad was made of holes (in the wrong places) so the coolig system wouldn't hold pressure.

That's the woe over, now the advice.....

Is it common for 200tdi's to blow head gaskets and is it indicative of another problem?

Is it time to chop in my SV & buy a Td5 or a Toyota (Need something good for towing)?

Cheers,

Si

First job ever done in your garage when you bought the house Si, my head gasket! About 135-140k miles I guess. As you know, I had the head re-built and gas flowed at that time. I was advised that the injectors could be a contributing factor in the gasket failing and were probably well past their best by then so, fired by a scarey article in one of the LR comics, I changed them too.

Chris

I believe the head gasket is known for going on 200s. Mine has done 160k and I strongly suspect the gasket may be gone too. I don't think it is a huge job.

Sounds like it is time to give me the SV (non-runner and all, can't be worth much :P), and buy a nice TD5 d2 or the like. I have it on good authority that they tow very well - Well graham seems to like it anyway, and we are off to play in my brothers one this weekend...

Mark

yep they tend to blow around No4, nice chuffing sound when started in the cold is a giveaway. 300s are just the same 100-150k is what ive heard in the past too. easy enough job, just remember the get the right thickness.

next to No3? (trying to remember now) below the injector the HG sticks out from the head. there will be between 1-3 holes punched in it there. unless your skimming the head or anyother work just get one with the same number of holes again. i seem to remember the difference is about 15thou between each step. i think 1 hole is the thickest.

yep they tend to blow around No4, nice chuffing sound when started in the cold is a giveaway. 300s are just the same 100-150k is what ive heard in the past too. easy enough job, just remember the get the right thickness.

next to No3? (trying to remember now) below the injector the HG sticks out from the head. there will be between 1-3 holes punched in it there. unless your skimming the head or anyother work just get one with the same number of holes again. i seem to remember the difference is about 15thou between each step. i think 1 hole is the thickest.

Gasket thickness depends upon the height that the piston crowns protrude above the deck of the block.

You do not change the gasket thickness if skimming the head - but if you skim the head, you need to check the distance from the head surface to top of the valves.

And a fourth woe!

The head is warped by about 7 thou - so it will go off to be skimmed this afternoon.

It currently has a 3 hole gasket - so I'll get the same.

It's amazing that with the number of bolts, how much difference a few thou can make. You can see where the gasket has been blowing and it's i the same place the head is exerting the least pressure due to the warp.

Si

i always thought 3 hole was the thickest? could be wrong though

0 hole gasket is the thickest, then 3, 2, 1 as the thinnest

0 = 0.81 to 0.90 for 300Tdi only IIRC :unsure:

3 = 0.71 to 0.80

2 = 0.61 to 0.70

1 = 0.50 to 0.60

all mm chose depending on piston crown protursion above the block face. :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by western

With all my woes with overheating last year, I used a 4 hole gasket, with the amount I had skimmed off advised to use one,

Not a OE part but available

And did it fix your woes?

Mine had blown between the middle two pistons and was leaking combustion mixture in to the cooling system.

Head should be back from skimming this afternoon - so should be on the road again tomorrow!

Si