the disco is dead

nicks90

couple of weeks ago our lass had a nasty accident in her disco2 - bskyb van decided not to notice was approaching a roundabout and that there was a large blue discovery stationary at the roundabout waiting for the traffic to clear.

so she (female sky engineer, dont see many of them) smacked into the back of the disco at about 25mph. No skid marks, just a slight avoidance to the left at the last minute - leaving a rather nice crunch mark (that would probably Tcut out :ph34r: ) on the disco and completely caving in the front of the sky van, crushing the drivers door so it wouldnt open, airbags went off, ripples all down the side of the van and popping the sliding side door off its hinges and out of the hole.

bum. :( All i can say is thank God our lass was in a disco and not a eurobox, as she walked away with no injuries at all. A fiesta or something of that ilk would have completely crushed itself and i would imagine she would have been lucky to get away without serious injuries.

official assessment of the disco is its a catB right off. turns out the back left crossmember has been pushed back 6", back left chassis rail has bent in the vertical plane to allow itself to be shortened by 6" and the wing, rear door, bumper and other bits and pieces at the back end all bent.

Just had the final settlement and we have gone and bought a Nissan Xtrail - 05 plate with minimal miles, FHS, etc. Have to say, although i loved the disco, it was quite poorly built and the interior ergonomics werent great. The Nissan, although smaller overall, has much more room inside and everything is laid out better - especially in the boot and rear seats. Its also substantially quicker than our chipped td5, drives much nicer and should return close to 40mpg on a run.

Lets hope the Nissan build quality is all its cracked up to be.

dont worry - wont be leaving the landrover fraternity! Still got my defender, so will continue to have plenty of opportunity to get skinned knuckles and oil under my nails and whinge about badly built vehicles made by communist brummies.

Nick

post-2947-0-32435500-1298028649_thumb.jpg

post-2947-0-03141200-1298028658_thumb.jpg

X-trail ??? We had one, I hope for your sake you haven't got the 2.2 diesel Euro IV engine, if so flog it quick. All sorts of problems with the engine as a result I think of the Euro IV mods,it only managed 26-28mpg, it struggled to tow, and ate tyres which are quite hard to find. Apart from that absolutely fine. Oh and the battery went flat after about a week of non-use, duff radio. AFAIK the problems mainly happened as a result of the Euro IV mods. Could have done with a much lower 1st gear too.

Nigel

we decided to downgrade from a disco, as its fuel economy was rubbish, we never towed 3.5t and we never used its offroad prowess other than the odd lane or trials site, so we wanted a mid size 4x4 instead.

yes it is more of a freelander than a disco - BUT....not really.

i found the freelander way too small inside. Boot was rubbish, head room was rubbish, felt very cramped inside. I was not impressed. So we originally went back to looking for another disco until we stumbled across the xtrail.

The Xtrail has a bigger boot floor than the disco (i put the discos rubber mat in it, and its too small. Need to find an xtrail boot liner) and the back seats have more room - violet can actually climb in and out easily herself, as the door aperture is considerably bigger. Space up front is bigger as well. Overall dimensions are smaller than a disco - but it is amazing how a bit of ergonomic thought has created a space inside that IS bigger than a discovery! I dont know how they've done it, but trust me - except for roof height - the xtrail feels much bigger inside than a disco.

I hope for your sake you haven't got the 2.2 diesel Euro IV engine,

nope. Mines a 2005 pre-DPF engine.