Anti-Squeal Shims - 110 Rear Callipers

Hi,

Recently been having problems on my 110 with TD5 rear brakes, They have a squeal under braking that could wake the dead!

After a bit of reading on here I found that I should have anti-squeal shims fitted behind the pads.

Does anyone have the part number for this? Is it this one... http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/RANGE_ROVER_1986-1994/Brakes/Brake_pad_shim_-_RH_-_rear_axle.html and http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/RANGE_ROVER_1986-1994/Brakes/Brake_pad_shim_-_LH_-_rear_axle.html A quick google shows them as looking like the right shape

Should there be one on every pad? i.e. 2x RH ones and 2X left hand ones

Tried hunting on the net but haven't found any reference to a part no associated with a Defender

Any help would be fantastic :)

Adam

Not very likely, but I did hear that sometimes mixing manufacturers of pads/discs can cause squealing?

All I can report for sure is that I have Mintex pads and discs on all four corners of both Defenders without any squealing and without any grease. Have you tried some "enthusiastic braking" to bed the pads in?

yeah tried about everything really, full strip down, regrease, bedding in procedure, light braking, heavy braking...noise just gets worse!

Thinking of scrapping the pads, getting some EBC greenstuffs and putting some 3M Adhesive shims on the back

when i replaced mine they came with springs and shims, when i asked for advice at my main dealer i found that whoever had fitted mine before left out the shims AND anti rattle springs, bought axle set of pads and fitted them and all sorted now, i was after the anti rattle springs as that was most obvious as a visual inspection of what was missing but they only come as part of the kit and as pads already fitted were non genuine i swapped them over and all is quiet now

Good news, I found some shims amongst some spares (as you do!)

They have a half moon shape cut out of the shim in line with the piston, Which way round should I put them?

They look similar to this, but shaped the same as the 110 rear pads... 591629-BRAKE-PAD-ANTI-SQUEAL-SHIM.jpg

Should the half moon be on the trailing edge or leading edge of the pads?

Adam