ways to clean my engine bay

lawrence

After a little off roading recently, my engine is now a lovely sand colour and could really do with a clean. Nothing too over the top, but i could at least do with been able to see the engine for the muck. so what is the best way to do it, I'm going any where near my disco with a preasure washer, so will a normal hose pipe and sponge do the job. What about soap, just like washing the car.

What have you got against pressure washers?

If you're sensible and don't point it too close at delicate wires, ignition leads and dizzy if it's petrol, the air intake etc, you should have no problems.

I expect a hose pipe will do a reasonable job too, but still observe sensible precautions as above.

my only reason for not wanting to use a preasure washer is, i have just had to replace my radiator as the previous owner had destroyed it by using a preasure washer on it. All the fins within sight of the grill were missing. So aslong as I am carefull then i should be fine. Okay I'll give it a go over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably a stupid question but for a V8 what prep work fo I need to do before washing the engine bay out??

Are those 'engine cleaner' chemicals any good or just water and brush??

Again sorry if this is a stupid question

Mick

Am i right in thinking that if I wrap the alt, batt, distributer, fuse's and anything else obvious with carrier bags and gaffa tape then all should be fine??? Just being careful not to pressure too much water at the spark plugs.

Is that it???

Mick

Can I ask, a silly question maybe, but is it best to have the engine running (but probably not at fully operating temperature) when pressure washing. My thoughts are that it will then be more resilient to heat, and if it should die during the clean, you might have an idea of where you pointed the water!

Just a thought!

Engine off and don't worry about covering alternator, dizzy etc; just don't blast water right at them.

A bit of splash won't do too much harm. If the engine was hot to begin with, you'll probably end up with some condensation inside the dizzy cap, in which case just dry it out with some rag/paper towel when done and all should be well :)

What is wrong with good old parafin, garages have been using it since the days of steam for cleanin off oil and it's cheap!

paint on leave for a bit then hose off.

Cheap?!!

Parafin costs more per litre than petrol/diesel and is basically a by product/less refined version of gasoline. Criminal it is!

I can second the Mr Muscle, used it myself when Lidl's aint got a cheap oven degreaser (names gone from me now but its in an orange spray bottle and only 70 odd pence IIRC) Both work just as well as Gunk/Jizer.