Van to Utility Conversion

I know it’s been covered here before, extensively, for instance linky, and I’ve been perusing the parts book PDF looking for differences…

Am not too worried about the V5 issues, of course I’ll tell the DVLA/insurance about the seat numbers etc, but frankly as far as LEZ goes, I try to avoid driving into London, and as far as I’m concerned this is yet one more reason why not to. Though not being able to pick up relatives from ‘Theafrow’ is a bit of a bind. Anyhoo…

What I’m concerned with at the moment is trying to put together a shopping list of bits I need, in order that I can put up wanted ad, so help from a grown up would be appreciated ;-)

In fact some helpful chap on ebay linkyhas even put up a kit, but his contains more bits than I want (have already sourced some doors, for instance, and will probably go the DIY trim route) and think he’s possibly over-valued what is after all a ropey old tub and some doors, condition unknown…

Question1: The roof is the same, surely?

Question2: ‘C pillars’ are part of the van/©SW sides, surely?

Question3: Would like to put a bulkhead between the passenger compartment and the load-bay, anyone done this/have pics?

Shopping list:

CSW Tub

B pillars

Floor rails/floors?

88” sides or SW sides and replace glass with ally sheet

Seats of some kind

Seat belt mountings etc.

Anything else?

And yes I’d like to find a Station Wagon that’s going spares or repair local to me so that I can just rob everything I require and sell on anything else but it seems that even tax-and-ticket-less trucks are fetching big money at the moment.

Your help/comments/etc as ever greatly appreciated…

Matt

I've done this conversion. I went from a van to a double cab pick up, but the principle is the same.

From the top down

The van roof and your existing rear door will fit

As has been said, series three sides will fit. (I don't know this for a fact 'cos I've not done it)

If by 'c' pillar you mean where the 2nd row doors close to,then I cant see any problem, matches up perfectly on the truck cab anyway.

For the rear bulkhead, I used a cut down Hi Cap one, but I needed the panel the truck cab bolts to. Landrover do this panel, but I think it was about £300. I had a quote for £150 to make one out of chequer plate, Rebel 4x4 do one, or you could use the one out of your hard top, but that will make the rear tub pretty useless if you want to sell it.

Rear seats come up on e bay quite often, quality depends on what you pay for them.

I haven't sorted the seat belts out for mine yet, so haven't fitted the seats yet' but surely if you get a safari tub, then the belts (and seats) may be available.

The big problem is the rear safari tub, because they are rare, and fetch silly money. Landrover sell the 'b' posts and sills, but you can imagine the price, however I'm pretty sure that YRM Metal Solutions have started making them, but I'd have to check that (or you can) so you don't perhaps need a minter?

Doors do come up on e bay or salvage yards occasionaly and do fit with no mods.

Don't listen to people who tell you that the chassis are different. Certain outriggers and body supports are, but they all bolt on and off. I found a 110 parts catalouge on the net and it shows the differences quite clearly. You need to remove some of the van ones and replace them with station wagon ones. Again, NO CUTTING OR WELDING,two 13 mm spanners is almost all you need.

Mine's gone through two MOT's with no problem since the conversion because it's still a light 4x4 utility. You can put seats in the back of a Transit van but it's still a Transit van. (I would however check this, don't fall out with the law and blame me!)

I spent a long time collecting and sorting bits out. I'm lucky that work takes me all over the country, so I just used to find out where I was going then search e bay for bits I needed.

After collecting the parts I think the actual conversion took a couple of days. You need a hand lifting the roof and body on and off, but most you can do yourself. (mind you, still not finished mine yet)

Hope this helps, just get in touch if I can help any more.

Rick

Just another thought, since the only real difference between the utility and the station wagon basicaly are the rear sides, could you not still have fold up seats in the rear to keep the 10 seat config. I really have no idea what implications this would have with DVLA or the LEZ

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for your responses! Am in Bristol by the way.

Don't listen to people who tell you that the chassis are different. Certain outriggers and body supports are, but they all bolt on and off.

:D I did suspect that from looking at the parts book but wasn't sure...

If by 'c' pillar you mean where the 2nd row doors close to,then I cant see any problem, matches up perfectly on the truck cab anyway.

Yes, by C pillars I just meant what the doors shut against.

For the rear bulkhead, I used a cut down Hi Cap one, but I needed the panel the truck cab bolts to. Landrover do this panel, but I think it was about £300. I had a quote for £150 to make one out of chequer plate, Rebel 4x4 do one, or you could use the one out of your hard top, but that will make the rear tub pretty useless if you want to sell it

The rear bulkhead should be part of the bodytub itself, so I shouldn’t have to chop my current tub into pieces?

My truck is currently stripped down to its chassis so it makes sense for me to do the conversion now rather than later

Just another thought, since the only real difference between the utility and the station wagon basicaly are the rear sides, could you not still have fold up seats in the rear to keep the 10 seat config. I really have no idea what implications this would have with DVLA or the LEZ

Rick

I’m not too bothered about the fold up seats in the rear, my main aim is to have a completely separate rear load area and passenger area. The van sides from an 88” are mainly for security, so I can leave gear in the back without it being on show – I’m going to get some vinyl to ‘black out’ the rear door window.

The rear bulkhead,ie the one behind the seats on your hard top, is part of the rear tub which you are doing away with. TBH if I was building a station wagon I can't see why you couldn't use a piece of ply to tub level then fit a dog guard above it.

I totally agree with Mark about the double cab rear tub, but they are difficult (and expensive) to get hold of.

Cheers

Rick

I think I've confused what's meant by bulkhead, apologies!

Yes, the bulkhead should be part of the tub, and I intend to ply-line the rear, including a floor to ceiling level bulkhead to create a seperate load area, as previously advised.

And yes the double cab bits seem to go on Ebay for the same prices as good quality rocking-horse manure!! :-D

That said, I think I've managed to source a SW rolling shell, so should end up with all the bits I need, assuming all is well!

Am picking it up on Saturday so will report back, and in case anyone googles this thread at a later date, will post a full list of bits once I've done the conversion.

Thanks for your help all.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update this:

5505679085_80548ed182.jpg

Donor CSW Body by udderlyoffroad, on Flickr

As you can see I've managed to source a CSW body on a rolling chassis. It should have all the bits I need - apart from the vansides that is (fleabay is my friend here).

Over the weekend we stripped it down the (rotten) chassis; so much quicker second time round! :D

The C pillars are a little rotten and not actually attached to anything, but as Defender_300TDi so ably demonstrated, these can be repaired, or (more likely) YRM metal solutions has them off the shelf.

Will update my build thread at some point too...when I've actually built something...