Am i missing bolts here????

Hi

Looking around for serial numbers etc under the beastie this morning cleaning and doing other checks i suddenly noticed this casing.

Can anyone tell me if i am actually missing bolts/studs and is this why there is an oil leak maybe? :huh:

Cheers

Kev

post-27763-0-16303200-1298386162_thumb.jpg

post-27763-0-67674500-1298386177_thumb.jpg

seems to me it's a crank oil seal which need replacement. i had to holes like that when i did my conversion. there should be pre tap holes where you could tap and thread them to allow the fitting of new bolts. i could be wrong but thats what i think it is.

seems to me it's a crank oil seal which need replacement. i had to holes like that when i did my conversion. there should be pre tap holes where you could tap and thread them to allow the fitting of new bolts. i could be wrong but thats what i think it is.

Hi

The holes did appear to have been taped in the body not in the cover if i recall. It was a bit of a shock when i first noticed them as the bolts did not seem evenly spaced!!

I will be checking again and update the post. Hopefully just a seal needed ( is it a difficult job? )

Are oil leaks as bad as this an mot fail?

Cheers

Kev

could be a mot failure (pretty sure) changing the seal involve of splitting the gearbox from the engine clutch out, flywheel out and seal behind. i've done mind when doing the clutch. check if it's engine oil or could be clutch oil which would mean the slave cylinder could be gone which would be easier fix.

hope that help any question don't hesitate to ask. there's good thread on crank seal in the tech archive have a look. if you are doing the seal get a clutch kit and slave cylinder as well at the same time worth doing them when you have the box and engine split.

could be a mot failure (pretty sure) changing the seal involve of splitting the gearbox from the engine clutch out, flywheel out and seal behind. i've done mind when doing the clutch. check if it's engine oil or could be clutch oil which would mean the slave cylinder could be gone which would be easier fix.

hope that help any question don't hesitate to ask. there's good thread on crank seal in the tech archive have a look. if you are doing the seal get a clutch kit and slave cylinder as well at the same time worth doing them when you have the box and engine split.

Damn this does not bode well

Seems 1 step forward 3 back on this vehicle at the moment.

Is it easy to tell difference between clutch and crank case oil? sorry total newb here

Thanks for your help.

Rgds

Kev

no worries mate, i've learned the hard way myself but i'm glad now. after a year i'm in the process of building a defender from scratch to go travelling. :rolleyes: (will take a couple of years though)

engine oil will be black and clutch oil is the same a brake oil clear yellowish but it could be black as well. is your clutch pedal hard or weird feeling when pressing on it? check fluid level for clutch. you could smell the dripping oil and compare the smell from the engine oil on the dip stick. i'll say if its engine oil it could have contaminated the clutch thus worth doing the whole lot if it turns out to be the crank oil seal.

thierry

no worries mate, i've learned the hard way myself but i'm glad now. after a year i'm in the process of building a defender from scratch to go travelling. :rolleyes: (will take a couple of years though)

engine oil will be black and clutch oil is the same a brake oil clear yellowish but it could be black as well. is your clutch pedal hard or weird feeling when pressing on it? check fluid level for clutch. you could smell the dripping oil and compare the smell from the engine oil on the dip stick. i'll say if its engine oil it could have contaminated the clutch thus worth doing the whole lot if it turns out to be the crank oil seal.

thierry

Thanks Thierry

It looks pretty black to me, i'll give everything a good squirt with degreaser and see what re-appears.

I have got the 90 booked in at Keith Gotts in Alton on Monday next for a once over and pre-mot so hopefully it wont go bang before then!!!

Rgds

Kev

no worries Kev hope it all goes well do you have a wading plug on it? if yes remove it if there's oil in the bell housing it will drain out clean all the oil with a degreaser and don't put the wading plug back in for now. give a clean before you go on monday again and fit the wading plug again this way it will look as if ther's no oil leak ;) but after the test you have to remove it coze the oil will need somewhere to drain or else it will get all over the clutch

good luck

no worries Kev hope it all goes well do you have a wading plug on it? if yes remove it if there's oil in the bell housing it will drain out clean all the oil with a degreaser and don't put the wading plug back in for now. give a clean before you go on monday again and fit the wading plug again this way it will look as if ther's no oil leak ;) but after the test you have to remove it coze the oil will need somewhere to drain or else it will get all over the clutch

good luck

Ah! Good idea

Cheers for that

Kev

good luck

Just realised i also need to get hold of a decent layout drawing showing all these parts in general position to each other and also the standardised terms being used for each part!!!

Cheers

Kev

there's links to workshop manuals & parts books at the top of the 'request for part numbers' forum.

Thanks Ralph

I wading through them at the minute, i had downloaded these and a lot of other info of the web and its just a case of matching stuff up. Although i've worked with mini-subs and diving gear i openly admit to knowing bugger all about cars hence getting a mechano set instead :D it will take a bit of time but i'll get there in the end!!

Rgds

Kev