hi folks

im thinking of converting my 1986 90county deisel to a petrol v8 with a lpg added for fuel econommy .

in it just now is a isuzu 2.8 td . first up what would be the best option for a second hand engine and gear box and could i keep the gear box thats already in it. secondly what sort of fuel econommy if any would i get as just now im getting about 28-30 mpg. any info on this would be great . i though about an old bowler but as there only 2 seaters this was a no go thanks for looking

hi folks

im thinking of converting my 1986 90county deisel to a petrol v8 with a lpg added for fuel econommy .

in it just now is a isuzu 2.8 td . first up what would be the best option for a second hand engine and gear box and could i keep the gear box thats already in it. secondly what sort of fuel econommy if any would i get as just now im getting about 28-30 mpg. any info on this would be great . i though about an old bowler but as there only 2 seaters this was a no go thanks for looking

if you do do the swap i might be interested in the isuzu engine if you fancy selling.

Much thought it pains me to say it, as an avid V8 fan, personally I'd stick with the Isuzu. They're very good lumps and you won't gain much unless you go to a decent spec V8 (at least an EFI one, probably 3.9+), a 3.5 on carbs would probably be less powerful and use twice as much fuel. There's not a lot of room in and around a 90 for decent size LPG tanks either, unless you compromise the load space. if you need more grunt, the Isuzus respond well to a bit of tuning & decent size intercooler (Saab or Volvo have some big ones).

A decent V8 (again, EFI assumed) should be able to nudge 20mpg in a standard 90, dependent on gearing and your right foot. LPG is less efficient so I'd take Quagmire's word for it on 15mpg as a good guideline.

Much thought it pains me to say it, as an avid V8 fan, personally I'd stick with the Isuzu. They're very good lumps and you won't gain much unless you go to a decent spec V8 (at least an EFI one, probably 3.9+), a 3.5 on carbs would probably be less powerful and use twice as much fuel. There's not a lot of room in and around a 90 for decent size LPG tanks either, unless you compromise the load space. if you need more grunt, the Isuzus respond well to a bit of tuning & decent size intercooler (Saab or Volvo have some big ones).

A decent V8 (again, EFI assumed) should be able to nudge 20mpg in a standard 90, dependent on gearing and your right foot. LPG is less efficient so I'd take Quagmire's word for it on 15mpg as a good guideline.

Mr Fridge... will you please come and tune my 3.5 EFI.....Im getting 11mpg with a light foot , and no the brakes aren't binding and yes the handbrakes off. Its an auto though.

Mr Fridge... will you please come and tune my 3.5 EFI.....Im getting 11mpg with a light foot , and no the brakes aren't binding and yes the handbrakes off. Its an auto though.

If it's that bad maybe it's worth starting a new thread and we can go through what's up with it. Is it megasquirted or flapper/hotwire?

15!? From a 3.5!? ****.....

Yep- sometimes more, sometimes less. Over the last 30,000 miles or so thats what i've got though.

That's on LPG though. I get better figures from petrol but no idea of what exactly (never drive on it for too long...)

:ph34r:

mmm thanks for all the info guys i might try the tunning with the intercooler 11mpg sounds a bit to leeary for my tastes. i new the mpg wouldnt be great but with the petrol people talking about adding another 5p on to a litre and the insurance qoutes i think il stick to what ive already got . thanks anyway