Engine oil cooler

Cynic-al

I have put a replacement engine in the classic, went from a 3.5 to a 3.9. The 3.9 came with all the parts for an Oil cooler except the heat exchanger / rad. Whatever you want to call it. Does anyone know If this was part of the radiator on the later models or a seperate unit. I'd like to fit one seeing as I have all the parts!

I have put a replacement engine in the classic, went from a 3.5 to a 3.9. The 3.9 came with all the parts for an Oil cooler except the heat exchanger / rad. Whatever you want to call it. Does anyone know If this was part of the radiator on the later models or a seperate unit. I'd like to fit one seeing as I have all the parts!

It is part of the radiator, but you can fit a separate unit instead

OK thanks, time to do a little searching...

The best oil cooler is if you can get one of the external aluminum auto transmission coolers off the latter rangies. They look similar to a radiator and about the same width, but only a few inches high. You can also purchase aftermarket universal coolers that look similar.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PFZ000051G.cfm

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/FTC5360G.cfm

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PFZ100010G.cfm

Thanks for the reply, looking at the other parts I have the oil cooler pipes were designed for a vertical cooler, maybe 10" between inlet and outlet? I'm guessing it went at the side of the standard rad. It would be handy if I could use these pipes out of lazyness so I think i'll look for a rad off a 3.9 disco etc.

Been running it so far with it disconnected, would like to find a rad and reconnect as it's all low speed stuff I do.

I disconnected mine for a little while when I thought I had a blockage in it. I have a oil temp gauge and I found that the oil ran a lot hotter without it. On my previous Rangie I had an external cooler and I can tell you that the radiator one is a lot more effective in keeping the oil cool.

I ran my 3.9 without a separate oil cooler and now the same with the 4.6.

I've made sure the water cooling is more than capable, but not had a problem with the oil that I know of yet !

Change the oil regularly and I doubt there will be too much of an issue.

Neil

I ran my 3.9 without a separate oil cooler and now the same with the 4.6.

I've made sure the water cooling is more than capable, but not had a problem with the oil that I know of yet !

Change the oil regularly and I doubt there will be too much of an issue.

Neil

Neil - this sounds like you made some kind of upgrades to the cooling. Please tell...

Custom made radiator from Pro Alloy, alloy header tank, new heater matrix, overall increase in water capacity and new pipes all round.....

post-1475-0-17397200-1298654972_thumb.jpg

I have a remote oil filter which would make it easy to plate off for an oil cooler either from the engine or oil filter, but the engine holds rock steady at 88 C unless hammered for a while on the motorway when it will climb to 90 C.

On crawls / tickover the fans are on at 93 (Sender now in bottom of radiator) and off at 87 according to Megasquirt.

I did have cooling problems some time back which led to my changes, but no issues at all since.

(The heater matrix was not flowing fast enough so the engine would get hot when first started until the stat equalised and then it ran fine for the rest of the journey !)

Neil

If the engine is untuned then an oil-air cooler may overcool the oil, the oil-water system also helps the oil warm up quicker.

oil-air coolers were optional on the 3.5 EFi but the extra power/torque of the 3.9 made LR decide an oil cooler needed to be standard. I wouldn't argue with them.

To work effectively engine oil should be over 100 degrees (the guys in engine-engineering at Dunton told me around 130Deg in a cross flow)