Knackered IRD?

GBMUD

I think there will be grinding and crunshing from the front end of the car if the IRD is shot. As for the VCU, yes try reversing with the steering on full lock, if it feels like the car is breaking then there is a good chance the VCU is shot. I have just replaced the VCU on mine for this reason and now drives like a dream.

I am not aware of a definitive test for these point though, but I am new to Freelanders so there may well be other tests.

HTH,

Gary

IRD is the transfer box so listen for gear noises (whining, grinding, crunching) especially when doing the VCU test. If the VCU is seized it will take the IRD and/or the rear diff out eventually (but they do stand up quite well considering the number of people driving round with seized VCU's).

Recon VCU is £250, IRD's are more like £350+ last I looked and more aggro to change.

£350? There was I looking at Ashcrofts website and seeing the figure £850 - I assume that is +VAT too!

What part of the IRD goes? I have seen bearing kits and gear kits for sale, do the bearings go and take out the gears if not attended to? Anyone know how difficult it is to replace the bearings - are there any surprises waiting in there to catch the unwary?

Thanks for the pointers

Chris

£350? There was I looking at Ashcrofts website and seeing the figure £850 - I assume that is +VAT too!

350 is a very rough off-the-top-of-my-faulty-memory eBay type price, so don't hold me to it :P As with anything it depends if you'd rather have a 2nd hand / eBay "recon" one or a pukka Ashcrofts one with some sort of backup.

What part of the IRD goes? I have seen bearing kits and gear kits for sale, do the bearings go and take out the gears if not attended to?

I'm not sure, I think everything suffers when the VCU fails as it's like driving round in a Defender with the centre diff locked - something will give in and go "bang" eventually but in the meantime everything else is taking a lot of stress so wearing faster than usual. Someone like Mr Ashcroft may know more about the usual damage that occurs.

The ones I have taken apart have failed in several ways,bearings collapsing,teeth chipping on gears,planet gear shims breaking up input splines failing etc.

All the replacements I have had from Ashcrofts have been new units,I dont think they rebuild them.