Head gasket: which side is top?

jagwit

Please look at the attached pics and tell me which side is "top" as they are not marked.

The two small holes on the "exhaust side" of the gasket (bottom of pic) covers the dipstick hole when applied the one way. Is that how one should tell which side is top.

These are Britpart gaskets...

post-9531-0-45081600-1298659866_thumb.jpg

post-9531-0-53593200-1298659877_thumb.jpg

It's for a V8, 3.5 I think judging by the distance between cylinders.

If it's a decent gasket it will have 'top' stamped lightly into the black surface somewhere, look very carefully, they can be hard to spot sometimes.

In fact, isn't that it, just under cylinder #3 in the second photo?

microcat parts diagram shows the 2 fingers [highlighted in orange on attached diagram] pointing inwards to engine centreline

I'm afraid that does not help much as you could have the fingers pointing inwards in two ways as per the two pics.

In fact, isn't that it, just under cylinder #3 in the second photo?

My vision is certainly not 100% but I looked at the gaskets under a magnifying glass (with a light) and did not find any "top" on the gasket. I presume one must be able to just look at it and somehow know.

Those metal rings around the head bolt holes must be the "tell" as to what side it is?

I'm afraid that does not help much as you could have the fingers pointing inwards in two ways as per the two pics.

Now I know the engine, Discovery 2 4.0 litre V8 parts diagram for head gasket shows the single & double small holes on the outside of the heads, with the single hole closest to the front of the engine, so the gaskets can only fit one of 2 ways.

refer to attached.

post-20-0-37673200-1298662910_thumb.jpeg