Swivel pre load help

SpenB

Hi all.

What is the preload meant to be on the swivels please. Its a 91' 200tdi.

I have looked/searched but find either 8-10lbs or 12-14lbs?

I'm right in saying you put it all back together on the axle without the swivel seal in place and use those scales to move the hub etc assembly?

Now the load is not what it takes to start to initially move it but the load it takes to keep it moving after you have got it stared moving - is that correct?

Cheers,

SpenB

I've done mine on the bench,slightly more controlled environment (and easier to change the shims!)

And whether it is correct or not, I ignore the initial force required to get it moving (overcoming the initial "Stiction") and look at the constant force needed to move it slowly from one extreme to the other.

Cheers

Peter

I'm not an expert on the Defender but I know on the RRC there are 2 different setting depending on the sort of bearings used. brielfy LR fitted a PTFE washer under the pin of the RAILKO onto which the pin pushes. Within a year LR had modified the design and fitted a mini roller bearing in it's place, these swivles had a lower preload.

On Defenders the taper bearings were introduced for the top swivel pin with the rest of the 300Tdi axle changes (hubs, stubs, shafts, brakes, etc.), these have a different pre-load yes.

There is a fibre washer that goes under the top pin on the railko bush models (200Tdi and earlier), this and the bush itself need to be lubed up with fresh EP90 prior to installation so that they don't run dry at first.