Is it safe to runwithout filter for a short while?

Hi

I removed my air filter box to try to change the filter but can't see how the bloody box comes appart no visible joints!!!

I'd guess the input to the turbo would be ok but what about the hose that comes/goes to the cyclone breather ( i think thats the name!! ).

Don't really want to put the old box ( in photo ), back on unless really required as new box is due next day or so.

Cheers

Kev

post-27763-0-19368200-1298747759_thumb.jpg

should be a removable end cap, probably secured with a wing nut or thumb wheel nut, filter should pull out from the left end in your picture.

looks like a Discovery air leaner to me, Defender 200tdi doesn't have the right angled air connection on the right hand end as in your picture

dont the end caps just come off?

there should be a nut or wingnut to unscrew.

Hi all

There was a wingnut but can't see any joints even after cleaning off silicon sealant of some kind, i'd hate to think when it was last done looking at the condition of the filter element. As i said i have a new body & filter coming in next day or so and just wanted to nip up the road ( 30 mile round trip ) to do some work on axles tomorrow.

i could connect the snorkel hose straight into tubo but did not know about the cyclone hose??

i'll try and have another go at the old one in the morning.

Cheers

Kev

If you disconnect the cyclone hose, then make sure you put some sort of bottle on it or seal it off as you may find some oil comes out of the end of the hose. This would then drip on the road...not good for the 2 wheelers out there!!

Chris

If you disconnect the cyclone hose, then make sure you put some sort of bottle on it or seal it off as you may find some oil comes out of the end of the hose. This would then drip on the road...not good for the 2 wheelers out there!!

Chris

:D Can't have that happening!!!!

BTW, What does the cyclone thingy actually do?

cheers

Kev

The cyclone seperates the oil from the air in the engine and returns the oil to the sump, im assuming it works like a dyson :D

All engines breath and in the air they move around inside is oil vapour.

Lynall

Thanks Lynall

So i take it the hose to the cyclone unit is an intake of sorts?

Do you know if this is just a land rover feature as i have not seen or heard of this before?

Cheers

Kev

it's part of the engines crankdase breather system, oil vapours are recovered by the cuclonic breather which makes the mist flowing through deposit the oil back to the sump, but some oil vapour will get through & be drawn into the air intake system to be burnt during the combustion process.