quick fix needed for fuel leak

HPLP

Hey all,

I was wondering can anyone help me....Ive just bought a 110 300tdi 1998 pickup. The seller naturally neglected to tell me about a somewhat major fuel leak from the metal curved section of pipe coming out of the top of the tank. I think its simply rusted through. Im not too bothered about going after him because unfortuntaltely Im 600 miles from home and need to get the vehicle back. Im near Inverness (in scotland ) for anyone thats interested and I need to get back to Cork in southern Ireland.

Id heard that soap worked and I could cake the whole area in the stuff to try and stem it a wee bit but does anyone know does this actually work or have any other suggestions? If the worst comes to the worst I'll just get a jerry can in the cab and connect onto the fuel line with a length of fuel pipe which I can either get tomorrow or Monday.

Any suggestions would be greatfully apreciated!

Thanks,

H

Hiya,

I would be careful, I have heard of an instance where someone bought a disco from Scotland and got it all the way home to find it was a scrapper, once you leave and cross the Scotish border you have no legal comeback within English Law.

Paul

Is this the return pipe to the tank thats leaking? Not to sure soap will work on diesel more petrol. Maybe sealant or previously mentioned tape. As for it condition best place an order for fuel line pickup. If can clean the pipeline to the tank with soapy liquid to find where the leak is. If at the base then you will have to seal with some anti corrosive sealant putty type or metal base. If halfway on the metal pipe you could get away with moving the connecting tube further down if possible. That if it the return pipe. May not be much help. :unsure:

Hey,

Ive just looked at the leak again and when looking again it appears to be the main pickup pipe/where the sender is too on the curved bit of pipe. Its more of a pin-hole leak that you can see squirting out when running. Ive just tried some sort of pipe sealent on it so I'll see if that does the trick. If not I may even try a screw in the hole as it'll probabily need replacing when I get back anyway.

The rest of the vehicle is in grand condition and as I'll probabily break it anyway, theres more than enough plus points but thanks for your concern Sharpy.

Thanks,

H

Hey all,

I thought that Id post up a conclusion so that anyone searching for it in future can find some info. It was the return pipe on the top of the tank. In my haste I thought that it was the pickup pipe, having worked on discoverys in the past.

I slowly cleaned it with a screwdriver and then managed to get some chemical stop leak and that has managed to stem the leak. Ive since aranged a replacement and that will be fitted when I get home and have access to a new jubilee clip.

Thanks all,

H

• 5 years later...

Hi everyone,

I'm picking up this discussion to ask you if your trouble is about this small, upper fuel tank as showed on the picture below?

I have a little gazoil leak at the end of it, when it connects with the fuel tank. It's cracked.

So far, I have managed to "fix" it with some duct tape, but it needs replacement.

Anyone can tell me the part number of this little devil?

post-4018-0-70472200-1470992560_thumb.jpg

Yes, where it fits to the fuel filler. Easiest repair is to her some replacement pipe of the same size, cut out the damaged bit and replace with a connector and new bit of pipe.

Otherwise it's drop the tank to change the whole thing.

Mo

Rubber fuel hoses do break down with age. The other fuel pipes that crumble fast are the small braided hoses between the injectors on Tdi engines, and LR don't sell them separately - they sell the whole assembly with the unions for the injectors and fuel pump for about Eu100. A 1m roll of identical 4mm fuel hose costs just a few Eu! So, I'd source this big hose from an autofactors, not from LR, as it's a standard size and will be much cheaper - all you need to do is cut the new hose to the same length and use the old clamps if they're in good condition or buy new clamps at the same time.