Help identifying radiator needed please

Hi all

Well saga continues!!! :(

Whilst carrying out some work under the vehicle today we noticed a leak at the bottom of the radiator!! :angry:

Things is before getting another i need to make sure what is actually fitted at the minute as the engine is a Disco 200Tdi.

Can anyone tell me:

1. What type of radiator is fitted, ie standard 90, Disco 200Tdi etc? ( photos attached )

2. Do i need to get the whole issue replaced ie the intercooler as well as main rad?

3. Is what appears to be an oil cooler on the right side an integral part as well?

4. Any suggestions as to best place to get a replacement that isn't going to break the bank or fall apart in 12 months?

Thanks for an input

Rgds

Kev

PS i am searching various forums as well as posting this request but nothing as to identification found yet. thanks.

post-27763-0-89204700-1298834428_thumb.jpg

post-27763-0-58473300-1298834445_thumb.jpg

post-27763-0-99799000-1298834471_thumb.jpg

1. What type of radiator is fitted, ie standard 90, Disco 200Tdi etc? ( photos attached )

2. Do i need to get the whole issue replaced ie the intercooler as well as main rad?

3. Is what appears to be an oil cooler on the right side an integral part as well?

4. Any suggestions as to best place to get a replacement that isn't going to break the bank or fall apart in 12 months?

1. Looks like a standard 200tdi rad to me.

2. If the intercooler's ok, you can just replace the rad. The frame just unbolts.

3. Yes, the oil cooler is integral. You will most likely need to swap over the adapters to the new rad. (see pic)

4. Standard rads were about 80-100 quid last time I looked.

post-84-0-98706200-1298834845_thumb.jpg

1. Looks like a standard 200tdi rad to me.

2. If the intercooler's ok, you can just replace the rad. The frame just unbolts.

3. Yes, the oil cooler is integral. You will most likely need to swap over the adapters to the new rad. (see pic)

4. Standard rads were about 80-100 quid last time I looked.

post-84-0-98706200-1298834845_thumb.jpg

Cheers Luke

When you say standard 200tdi are they the same for 90-200tdi and disco-200tdi?

Thanks

Kev

Cheers Lynall, i'll have a look at the fleebay ones for comparison, i am a bit loath to get a 2nd hand one from there though after reading other peoples post of them arriving damaged or failing shortly after etc. Probably one of the few things i wouldnt buy on ebay as i buy pretty much everything else there :rolleyes:

Mo, i'll be looking into recoring when i speak to some other suppliers tomorrow, i'm not sure if there are any decent places in or near Portsmouth as i recall trying to do this years ago with another car.

Updates to follow

Thanks all

Kev

I bet it will cost you more for a recore than a new unit from e bay.

Lynall

Hi Lynall

I'm off to a local firm to check on recore prices and new rads.

Like i say, buying rads on ebay ( unless new from commercial firms ) is open to all sorts of grief if there is anything wrong with the radiator when it arrives. Even if the seller accepts it back for what ever reason you would still be out of pocket on the return shipping ( probably over £20 ). So probably better to go with either regular commercial seller on ebay or local/major rad firm and get a warranty with it for a few quid more!! JMHO ;)

Rgds

Kev

Cheers Lynall, i'll have a look at the fleebay ones for comparison, i am a bit loath to get a 2nd hand one from there though after reading other peoples post of them arriving damaged or failing shortly after etc. Probably one of the few things i wouldnt buy on ebay as i buy pretty much everything else there :rolleyes:

Mo, i'll be looking into recoring when i speak to some other suppliers tomorrow, i'm not sure if there are any decent places in or near Portsmouth as i recall trying to do this years ago with another car.

Updates to follow

Thanks all

Kev

Wessex Radiators at Bursledon/Lowford on the A27. Excellent service, just had my 300TDi rad recored there with a heavy duty 4 tube (vs standard 3 tube core). Used them for years, other locals on here to them also recommend them.

Wessex Radiators at Bursledon/Lowford on the A27. Excellent service, just had my 300TDi rad recored there with a heavy duty 4 tube (vs standard 3 tube core). Used them for years, other locals on here to them also recommend them.

Simon.

How long to do and how much if i can be so cheeky to ask mate or pm me!! ;)

Took the rad out today and drained it ready to run in to Serk Marston in Portsmouth tomorrow if i get chance just to see what they quote for new or recore.

Rgds

Kev

Be interested myself if the Discovery 200 Tdi radiator is the same as a defender one and its justs the frame that is different !

Hi all

I went down to Merk Serston in London Rd Portsmouth and they said the rad was definitely Disco200Tdi.

Due to time constraints i purchased a new one for £105+vat and a 12month warranty and any problems at all bring it back and we'll sort it out no questions!!! Can't really fault that type of service.

I possibly could have saved £5-£15 pounds online but then there is shipping and waiting in for delivery etc etc.

I never got chance to try anywhere else regarding re-core but again time etc as i need the thing running by weekend.

I will follow up on re-core prices and also find out what sort of warranty, if any, is given and post this up.

Hope this helps someone.

Rgds

Kev

Wessex do a recore with a standard 3 row core for around £100 +VAT. If they have the core on the shelf (which they did the previous time), they will do it that day.

The 4 row core for mine was ordered the day I dropped my old one in, and it was ready at 2pm the next day. Price was £180 VAT included.

Wessex do a recore with a standard 3 row core for around £100 +VAT. If they have the core on the shelf (which they did the previous time), they will do it that day.

The 4 row core for mine was ordered the day I dropped my old one in, and it was ready at 2pm the next day. Price was £180 VAT included.

Simon

Just out of interest do Wessex give any warantee with their re-cored units? Also does the extra row make much difference for a disco 200tdi as i heard they run cool without heat problems most of the time.?

Cheers

Kev

The reason I got a 4 core one was I have a full width intercooler in front of my rad. I have also tweaked my injector pump a bit for more oomph. The standard 3 is OK when new but after a few years use I notice that on long hills during the summer the water gets to around 95-100c (I have a Racetech gauge rather than the standard fit one) which I feel is a little too warm. A new rad runs at 90c under the same conditions.

I suspect a 3 core will be fine for most people - unless you regularly get yours filled with mud!

The radiator before this (for someone else) had a 3 month guarantee and reused the old header tanks and oil cooler. My 4 row had no guarantee despite reusing the old tanks and cooler.... To be honest if its going to leak, it will do so the first time it is pressurised and Wessex are such a good bunch that if it did, I suspect they would fix it anyway.

I would rather have a brass header tank and copper finned "old school" radiator rather than a modern plastic tank version.

The reason I got a 4 core one was I have a full width intercooler in front of my rad. I have also tweaked my injector pump a bit for more oomph. The standard 3 is OK when new but after a few years use I notice that on long hills during the summer the water gets to around 95-100c (I have a Racetech gauge rather than the standard fit one) which I feel is a little too warm. A new rad runs at 90c under the same conditions.

I suspect a 3 core will be fine for most people - unless you regularly get yours filled with mud!

The radiator before this (for someone else) had a 3 month guarantee and reused the old header tanks and oil cooler. My 4 row had no guarantee despite reusing the old tanks and cooler.... To be honest if its going to leak, it will do so the first time it is pressurised and Wessex are such a good bunch that if it did, I suspect they would fix it anyway.

I would rather have a brass header tank and copper finned "old school" radiator rather than a modern plastic tank version.

Thanks Simon

Definitely worth bearing them in mind for future stuff but for my type of use ( general green lane and light off road ) i think i'll be ok with standard rad.

Cheers

Kev