300TDI Dash woes

Pinn76

Hi all,

After a great day yesterday doing a charity 'non' damaging punch hunt I've got a few issues. The main one being I've lost almost everything on my dash :( .

Halfway through the day and alls going good (apart from the loss of the rear light lens), I stalled the truck, so restarted it and on we went. The SRS warning light came on but flashing the last 's', followed shortly by the rev counter and speedo failing. Engine never faultered so continued on. End of the day came and because the engine was running all afternoon never noticed but came to start to leave and now have no temp gauge, Fuel gauge reading full and no oil,brake fluid level charge lights.

When I come to start it now all I have is the SRS warning light on. Engine starts and runs fine and no other faults. I have been out this morning and looked to see if there was damage to the harness in the engine bay and all appears good. Stripped out dash and all good there too. I was thinking along the lines of a plug getting disconnected or loom damaged on something but cant find anything. When I stalled I was sat on the level and accidently put it in 4th instead of 2nd.

also the truck is a '94 300TDI.

Bri

Also forgot to mention Diff lock light also failed but indicator, main beam and ilumination lights still work.

Hi There,

This could be the loss of fuse 4 1 am. But more likely loss of the earth. It all earths through E200. This is a nut on the drivers side foot well panel. Take the cover off and look between the relay stacks for the earth cluster. It may be burnt or just fell off.

There is another earth that causes loss of panel lights and that is on the passenger side foot well, right at floor level. This one also causes loss of heater fan and air con. Too much juice through too smaller connector along with water ingress. A good clean usually fixes it, but not the SRS lights. That needs a reset. Mine has a piece of card between the lams and the dash so I cannot see them.

Good luck.

RM

Thanks for the info RM.

Been out this morning and checked all fuses and found headlight washer and trailer socket fuses blown (now replaced) Cleaned the earths as mentioned and still no lights :( , although on the plus side the fuel gauge is apparently working though I'm unsure if its correct, time will tell.

Any one else got any ideas as I've run out.

Hi There again,

Have another go at this, if the earth e200 is ok then it must be the power side of the circuit.

Fuse F14 (10A) in the facia fuse box feeds the multi function unit Z148, the air bag sensor unit Z151, the clock Z117 and the instrument cluster Z142.

It alos feeds the reversing light system.

If the reversing light bulb is short, or the wire hanging from the bottom of the gear box is grounding. The fuse will blow again, but not immediately.

Use a bulb with one end connected to ground to check the voltage is actually going through the fuse.

Keep trying, you will get there in the end.

Good luck.

RM

Great problem solved. :i-m_so_happy:

Thanks to RM for pointing me in the right direction.

After double checking underneath for any damage to the wiring from branches and such like I still couldn't find any problems so decided for some reason to take a look at the back of the fuse box. Found the little blighter.......... :rolleyes: .........the wire had dropped off from the back of fuse 14. Just need to replace the broken lenses then good as before.

Thanks again RM and happy motoring.

Bri