Lake District laning, Feb 2011

Turbocharger

Just back from a long weekend with a mate based out of Kendal - great weekend, challenging lanes and beautiful scenery. His Jimny acquitted itself well - looks like a toy but scrambles up things like a pro, it was only let down by poor wheel movement (and no recovery points! :o)

I'd linked to the photo album here, I hope:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=108017037502311776462&target=ALBUM&id=5578812438713174081&authkey=Gv1sRgCJ3WwILS4_CJ2wE&feat=email

Edited by Turbocharger

With the Jimny in a V-gully between rocks? Yes, we did go off the driven line, by about ten feet. He'd tried the scramble up the rocks two or three times, and he was starting to dig a hole. Rather than do any damage to the surface of the track, he took the hard-surfaced rocky option to the left, risking damage to the car rather than the terrain. On the way back down he went for the steps because the issue was traction rather than clearance.

It's a moot point here because that track's a dead end, but what's the best way to tackle such situations? Where I've seen similar situations in the Peak District or Brecons, the track ends up deeply rutted and scarred (usually from water erosion wearing one rut much deeper than the other), or else the track spreads over a wider and wider area at the difficult point. Historically, traffic would have taken an easier adjacent option if possible, so that's what we chose because we were confident it wouldn't do more damage. At a similar problem on the Brest High Road, we turned round rather than tear chunks out of the countryside for our own selfish enjoyment.

With the Jimny in a V-gully between rocks? Yes, we did go off the driven line, by about ten feet. He'd tried the scramble up the rocks two or three times, and he was starting to dig a hole. Rather than do any damage to the surface of the track, he took the hard-surfaced rocky option to the left, risking damage to the car rather than the terrain. On the way back down he went for the steps because the issue was traction rather than clearance.

It's a moot point here because that track's a dead end, but what's the best way to tackle such situations?

stop and turn around? We were up there last month. One of the 90's in our group struggled (wrong line?) we tried the waffles but it spat them out, rather than take any more attempts we got out the ground anchor which gave it forward movement of some 12", traction gained, drove out. The 110 had no problems and I decided not to bother with it for the aforementioned reasons.

JMHO

G :)

I take your point about sensitively deviating from the track to make progress. There is the third option though, that given the lane is a deadend, is to turn back.

I think my thinking is complicated by having seen vehicles take that route last year and cause quite a bit of damage to the surface and (summer) foliage.

I also know that the local parish council have petitioned LDNP with photos of off route driving (some of it pretty horrendous) and are pushing for action from them. The TRF are saying the damage is water caused and promoting the idea that responsible users stick to the track.

LDNP don't really make use of volunteer repairs and have no budget this year - So I'm just worried they'll get closed unless their use becomes a lot more sensitive.

In hindsight, we should have turned the Jimny at that point, though my Ninety had driven it first attempt without a spotter, waffles or winching, suggesting it was quite dry by comparison to the winter examples above. As I said, where we found a problem on the Brest High Road we looked at diverting (soft grassland all around), towing (danger of digging ruts), winching (nowhere to put the tow vehicle that wouldn't cause damage), so we turned round instead.

We noticed that where we did turn round overlooking Coniston Water (c. 2km before the OS map shows the BOAT ending) there were marks where bikes had just headed away up the hill across the moor. There wasn't much damage - or it had recovered well - but it shows that it's not just water damage, there is irresponsible access occurring up there (and elsewhere too). It's down to the responsible users (and I hope I count myself among the latter) to police the routes as best we can, and to use the lanes responsibly and sustainably in the meantime.

Ahh so you were the other 4x4 group that the farmers wife was moaning about at Sadgill Farm in Longsleddale.

We came down there later than you and got a right ear-bashing off the lady, fortunately as I was very kind and a local when we left she was much happier.

On Sunday? What had we done to upset her? I genuinely can't think of anything which could have put anyone's nose out of joint other than "exercising our right to pass and re-pass", I make a point to engage, smile or wave to everyone I meet. In fact I think I stopped on the descent into Sadgill to pick up some litter which someone had cast asunder...

fortunately as I was very kind and a local when we left she was much happier.

Ed - that doesn't read so well. Your post could come across as seeming to just say 'you caused a problem, which I won't recount, but I'm such a lovely chap - I put it all right'

To be constructive tell turbo, who has shown good intentions, what the substance of the complaint was?

Ed - that doesn't read so well. Your post could come across as seeming to just say 'you caused a problem, which I won't recount, but I'm such a lovely chap - I put it all right'

To be constructive tell turbo, who has shown good intentions, what the substance of the complaint was?

Sorry, wasn't meant to come across like that.

The Farmer and his wife have a general dislike of 4x4's as they drive literally within inches of their house. She had spotted you and your mate and as you were the first of the year that she had noticed that has started off her grump against 4x4's using the lane.

This is a very sensitive lane in the lakes as it is also a very popular one, and comes very close to the farmers home, as I am sure you understand.

It is probably best people be aware of these issues and to tread quickly and carefully past the farm buildings.

There has been damage caused by some 4x4 drivers to the farmers walls, either through damage caused by clipping some of the close walls to the track. but there is evidence of some 4x4 users taking stones from the walls near some of the more tricky parts to aid driving up them, this simply isn't necessary and against what most 4x4 drivers accept as their code of conduct.

Sorry to sound a bit preachy, not my intention we really need to look after the lanes we still have.

Good Photo's though and a brave man taking a suzi on some of those lanes. Did you also do Breasthigh? it is looking a little washed out in places though.

Fair enough, I think we agree on laning and attitudes.

I can't say I have much sympathy for the grump she has after buying a house next to a right of way which is hundreds of years old, but she could have spoken to us and I hope she'd have found us polite, articulate, empathetic and interested in the history and beautiful scenery around her house (as well as a little bit jealous that she gets to wake up and see it every day). Maybe she didn't get chance to meet us because we weren't there for too long? I don't like laning past houses, through farmyards etc and I'd willingly take a longer (agreed) route to preserve someone's privacy.

I fully accept the point about irresponsible behaviour and damage to the lanes but that's the wider question of sustainability, and it's not going to get any easier as more secondhand 4x4s fall below £1000 and "yoofs want to test them". We can only behave properly and make sure that minority remain so, and the majority give a good impression for community relations etc.

As I said above, we did drive Breast High road but the Suzi didn't make it up the washout on a left hand bend. Discretion being the better part of valour, we turned back before doing any damage (to the car or the lane!).