90 fuel tank question.

Hi all,

I am going to be fitting a defender 200tdi engine into my 1989 90, which was previously fitted with a 2.5 petrol engine.

I know I need to empty/flush the tank and fit a return line, but do I need to change the outlet on the tank as it has a pump built in the outlet.

All help would be good.

Cheers, Dave.

I guess you could try keeping the pump on the outlet and removing the lift pump from the engine block. The may be more reliable and some have elected to use electric pumps instead of lift pumps anyway. I probably wouldnt keep both though (although you could try that and see how it goes).

I guess it partly depends if the petrol pump will pump diesel ok or whether the diesel will knacker the pump. I would think it should manage diesel ok.

I guess you could try keeping the pump on the outlet and removing the lift pump from the engine block. The may be more reliable and some have elected to use electric pumps instead of lift pumps anyway. I probably wouldnt keep both though (although you could try that and see how it goes).

I guess it partly depends if the petrol pump will pump diesel ok or whether the diesel will knacker the pump. I would think it should manage diesel ok.

cheers for the help reb,

i will have a look it when i get the engine and have a play.

i think it would cause problems if both were connected?

i think it would cause problems if both were connected?

I would have thought it might since if one is pulling more fuel through than the other, i would have thought one woudl dead head against the other. However, ajh posted this yesterday where he is running two pumps, so perhaps it is fine:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=65775

I was hoping he'd see this thread and comment.

I suppose the chances are that the electric pump will pump faster than the lift pump and there will be some flow through the lift pump at all times, so perhaps they will work well together and complement each other to some extent. Let us know how you get on.