Oil catch tanks to replace cyclone unit

Fitted a modified ZF PAS oil resevoir - ideal if you see how they are designed. Lower large outlet is the input from the cyclone, smaller outlet drain to sump - simple Y piece into existing.

Internally to resevoir two or three stainless pan scrubbers to catch oil vapour.

Finally a vent in the screw lid to in my case a small BOV style filter.

Result no oil in filter, zero pressure in the engine and no oil discharge.

Looksy.........................

Intercoolerupgrade014.jpg

Why not leave the cyclone unit in place and add this as an extra catch tank?

Got to be easier just need some pipe.

Lynall

Fitting would not be the main problem / question Lynall.

What i'm after id whether they help or hinder anything, influence increase or reduce performance, fuel economy etc.

Fitting them would i'd guess just feed into it from where the cylone gets its' feed and then just put the output down to the sump ?? Why does the cyclone unit connect to the air hose? mine seems to be quite oily which cant be good for the filter which i would guess may have a knock on effect for turbo intake?

Without the cyclone would there not be any need for the connection into the air hose?

cheers

Kev

Fitting would not be the main problem / question Lynall.

What i'm after id whether they help or hinder anything, influence increase or reduce performance, fuel economy etc.

Fitting them would i'd guess just feed into it from where the cylone gets its' feed and then just put the output down to the sump ?? Why does the cyclone unit connect to the air hose? mine seems to be quite oily which cant be good for the filter which i would guess may have a knock on effect for turbo intake?

Without the cyclone would there not be any need for the connection into the air hose?

cheers

Kev

Study the picture Sub all will be revealed.................................

Fitted a modified ZF PAS oil resevoir - ideal if you see how they are designed. Lower large outlet is the input from the cyclone, smaller outlet drain to sump - simple Y piece into existing.

Internally to resevoir two or three stainless pan scrubbers to catch oil vapour.

Going in to the reservoir from underneath do you not risk a build up of oil in the pipe from the cyclone rather like a u-bend on a sink?

Cheers

Kev

Going in to the reservoir from underneath do you not risk a build up of oil in the pipe from the cyclone rather like a u-bend on a sink?

Cheers

Kev

No the positive pressure is quite strong on a 200tdi. It was something I did consider before I sighted the catch tank though.

The unit passively vents and when running and hot the mildest of vapour can be seen from the filter.

You can see aswell the removal of the vent pipe from the air filter unit. I fitted all of this to avoid the oil you get blown past the turbo and into your intercooler, making it less effective.

• 3 months later...

Great innovation there man ... I have an extra ZF reservoir as well which I would hook up like yours ... off topic now ... from the picture, heat from the cooling fan is blowing on the intercooler pipe. You should have this moved or insulated or both!