Discovery 200tdi

Jon W

Well my discovery, has seemed a bit down on power recently and have replaced a few bit here and there as I have found issues. It has not kicked into life like a normal tdi does, but crank a whole turn and then needs to idle while the 4th cylinder come in. I replaced a spill pipe which was split a few months and this didn't do much, I suspected the lift pump so I have replaced this and the pipe to the filter. Sedimentor cleaned out and filter also changed. Then when checking the pump was fitted ok with my head under the bonnet I heard this chuffing noise sounding like the exhaust gasket was blowing. But traced it to the back of the head, there is a chuffing and gas being release out the back of the head, this is a bit oily. Oil and water levels seem fine however and have not gone down, no oil in the water so I am hoping it is not the head gasket.

Does anyone have a diagram of the back of the engine? as would like to see what it could possibly be as can't see down the back of the engine. I know there are core plugs down there but I doubt it is that.

Any advice is much appreciated. I thought I woulod put it in hear to get more views as these engines are in Discoverys, range rovers and disco into defender conversions.

Thanks

Jon

Hmm this seems to be the general opinion. Not what I needed to hear when I have to be in yorkshire and then scotland for the muddy truckers on thursday, Just got a headgasket set, so it look like it will be a late night tomorrow night to get it done.

Ah well dam land rovers, I should have stayed with the german engineering.

Jon

Before you lift the head, check that the injector clamps are all tight (13mm spanner, the rearmost one is a little awkward to access). Mine lifted one slightly after I'd fiddled with the injectors and it gave a distinct and 'crisp' ticking until clamped down properly again.

Cheers turbo but have had a good poke around and it it definately something escaping from the back of the engine by the bulkhead.

Yer there should be 2 of us working on it, my mate who has done a few of them before so hopefully it will go smoothly, he reckons we should be able to do it in just over 3 hours, as says you can do it without having to take all the front cover and timing off.

Any bolts that I should be soaking with WD40 now, I will probably go and spray any rusted ones I can see. I decided to get a set of new head bolts as don't know the history of the engine and they were only £20 and don't want to get part way and not be able to put it back together.

Just hope it actually works noticably better than when it's done as it is so flat running on 3 cylinder lol.

Jon

• 4 months later...

Hi.

Just wanted to know how this turned out.

My Disco 200 was chuffing through the rocker filler and dip stick tube and oil down the sides of the block.

The headgasket was blown.

Odd thing was it started first time and idled after sitting for months and through the bad snow. Repair in progress.

Cheers

Seems Disco 200Tdi engines are more prone to this than Defenders.

Mine went in the Disco (I used to own - fortunately I saw the light again and bought the 90! :) ) - but from inside the cab it sounded more like a loose tappet - wasn't until I had head under bonnet with engine running I realised what was going on.

Anyway, didn't have a day spare to fix things so the old girl went to an independent. Sold it a few months later after it dropped the same core plug for the third time...

Cheers,

I did the gasket, the night before driving to muddy truckers, but didnt have time to do the tappets, so did them before driving home. That was however many months ago and it seems to be going ok. Still seems a bit flat there is no feeling of the turbo kicking in, it is just a smooth transition. But have tweaked the pump so low end is a lot better so it might just be that I have power low down now and not top end.

Jon