Heated windscreen.. What precisley do I need?

Afternoon,

A damaged windscreen has given me the opportunity to upgrade to a heated windscreen. However, I realise I need some parts - a couple of relays and a timer I think? Can anyone who has done this recently please tell me what precisely I need. Alternatively, is it possible that the wiring is already in place and I just need to connect it up?

Many thanks!

1998 Defender CSW 110 300Tdi.

The official timers are quite expensive at about £70 unless you chance upon one from a scrapper. VWP do a 10 min timer for £14; I have just had the same problem as I have 2 to wire, and have developed a timer circuit which costs about £3 in bits but you have to assemble into some sort of case.

Nigel

The official timers are quite expensive at about £70 unless you chance upon one from a scrapper. VWP do a 10 min timer for £14; I have just had the same problem as I have 2 to wire, and have developed a timer circuit which costs about £3 in bits but you have to assemble into some sort of case.

Nigel

DynaVT installed a Heated Windscreen on his Defender, using a VWP Timer.

Circuit Diagram and details here -

http://www.lro.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=60317

Hi Tim,

When I did my own following loads of help from Ralph, the only thing I did different was to run front and rear off of the existing switch. This way I just turn on the heated rear which in turn flicks the timer relay for the front screen which then stays on for 10mins ( I think).

As i doubted I would ever need the front without the rear, and if I do need the front again I just flick it off and on again for another 10mins of front heated screen...

Good luck..

db.

Ps. you will wonder how you ever lived without one before....

Thanks fellers.

Far too many -20 somethings over the last couple of years not to have one I think. I'd hate to leave it on so the timer relay would probably be the best option.. but they are expensive!