Raised air intake (missing hose)

I.B.ASH

Hello,

The previous owner of my 90 had fitted a raised air intake to it, but I think that it was just for the "bling" effect as he had not connected the filter to the snorkel. I have looked on the net for this part and it is coming out at £40 - £50!!! Crazy money as Im guessing that all it is is some flexible rubber hose, right? If anyone has used anything other then the £50 part can you let me know what you used? Im thinking of heading to a scrap yard and just getting some rubber turbo piping or something to connect it up, what do you think?

Thanks for you thoughts.

Hi,

I've got some rubber hose that is new got several lengths when I built the snorkel for my last Range Rover - fits nicely over rainwater downpipe (the black stuff). Lets me know what diameter and what length - maybe it will fit. If so we can do a deal?

cheers

Darren

Its a 200tdi fitted into a 1986 90, afraid I don't know what make of snorkel it is, I do remember the guy I bought the landy from saying it cost around £60, it has a few sections to it and fits through the top of the wing where the air vent bit is. Inside/under the wing the metal pipe has two holes which protrude out, which would make fitting a tube a bit tricky, I will try and post a pic of what I mean.

Hey Darren, yeah I will measure it up tomorrow, cheers for that.

Thanks for the replies.

Hi

I am after some "hose" as well, my snorkel is made of 3" exhaust pipe and I need to connect this to the airbox on a 3.5 V8 running on carbs.

If you have anything that would fit let me know.

Cheers

Bigant

Hi Guys,

Had a rumage and found 3 lengths of rubber pipe - internal diameter just over 70mm - 12", 14" and 24" in length. Longest length is the same at both end - the two shorter ones are narrower. I had another one of the long lengths fitted nicely over black rainwater downpipe.

Please see attached photos and let me know if they are any use to you.

regards

Darren

post-13921-0-95884800-1299427524_thumb.jpg

Its a 200tdi fitted into a 1986 90, afraid I don't know what make of snorkel it is, I do remember the guy I bought the landy from saying it cost around £60, it has a few sections to it and fits through the top of the wing where the air vent bit is. Inside/under the wing the metal pipe has two holes which protrude out, which would make fitting a tube a bit tricky, I will try and post a pic of what I mean.

Hey Darren, yeah I will measure it up tomorrow, cheers for that.

Thanks for the replies.

Is it like the attaced pic?

If so it's a military type. The two protrusions are for fitting breathers (very useful). When I retofitted my Def 200TDi in place of the 2.5N/A, I just went out and bought some reinforced flexi hose of the same diameter. Bit of silicon and 2 good jubilee clips, job done. Then again you may have something completely different :rolleyes:

Nige

post-4832-0-93439000-1299519465_thumb.jpg

take a look round your local scrap yard, fiat/citreon/peugeot/renault all use large bore air pipes on there later vans, all with vairying lengths , and can normally be picked up for a couple of £'s, as they are just waste to a scrap dealer,

Bigant,

The plus of the old 3.5 v8 airboxes is they are steel so you can weld to them. I cut the trumpet off and welded a bit of pipe to it the same size as my snorkle which made finding flexi pipe much easier!

DSC09882Large.jpg

Also used the same idea on my old SJ

DSC09080DesktopResolution-1.jpg

Hey, thanks for all the replys!!

Darren; Cheers, I still ned to check the diameter, I think its the same, just over 70mm, but best to be sure.

Nige; Yep thats it, ok, so the breathers, I can see in the pic that you have two pipes coming off, where do these go too, and do you know where can I order those parts from?

Thats great, thanks to you all! :)

Nige; Yep thats it, ok, so the breathers, I can see in the pic that you have two pipes coming off, where do these go too, and do you know where can I order those parts from?

Thats great, thanks to you all! :)

Those breathers go to the fuel lift pump and the transfer box. That snorkel fitment is a military peculiarity. The breather fitments are military. I'm sure with a bit of research or chasing about with thread taps/dies will discover the thread and then some fittings that will fit. Otherwise, you can purchase the complete wading kit for about £300 + vat + pp. It's only 2 pallet loads. :ph34r:

Nige