Sell or break

cackshifter

Hi, Could you guys please give some advice. The story is..I have a 1993 RRC, air suspended originally but converted to coil. It was 3.9 pre-serpentine EFI, auto and had done about 150k when I got it, the first 90k in the 1st 3 years on the motorway. My wife went out in it one day, and a hose burst. She decided she could make it home, but that killed off the engine - liner shifted. So.. I bought a brand new 4.6 from V8 Developments all lovely and balanced etc, a new ECU from PharmHouse, and fitted it, and on its intial start it ran fine for about 10 minutes then I noticed a strange liquid running from the back of the car.. petrol! The pipe had rusted through, so, started taking the back of the car to bits and realised the chassis was very rusty, and the rear crossmember and boot floor had had it. I fitted a new crossmember, and a friend made a new boot floor in 1.6mm galvanised which is fitted. I sand blasted and POR15d the rear axle and supension and most of the rear of the chassis, which seems reasoably sound. AFAIK the gearbox etc is sound, it had a new viscous coupling in the BW transfer box just before I got it, it has new stainless exhaust etc, the axles are fine, it had a new rad. So it needs rear brake piping and brakes refitting, rear shocks, and the fuel tank refitting and piping. The bonnet and tailgate are reasonably good, there is some rust on the sills and the doors, and round the battery tray, but I think nothing terrible. Everything electric used to work even the seat adjust and mirrors.

This was in about 2002. Since then it has sat in my garage, which is very dry. There are many reasons why it hasn't been completed, some of them good. The engine is free, I have moved it from time to time. Itis very dusty, mainly from the sandblast.

I need the space now. I have acquired 2 defenders in the meantime, they need constant care and I need to get in out of the rain when working on them, plus I can't reasonably expect to use it if I did finish it. So .. would I be better to break it, sell bits on here or ebay or something or try to sell it one lump? Do people still want such things?

Nigel

Well, I suppose it depends what you want for it...... any ideas?

I am tempted TBH :)

Err well the truth is I don't know, the short answer is as much as possible of course, and hadn't really decided how best to handle it - hence the question really, and hadn't intended to trawl for buyers this informally. However quite a bit of lifetime as well as cash went into it - it would be good to think someone would get the benefit. I'd say pop round and have a look but I know exactly where Wedmore is.. I went to school in Wells.. so it's not exactly local. I could post some pics? I thnk I have some somewhere, otherwise I can take some more.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Obviously Bowie69 got there first but I could be interested, could you put up some pictures please?

Cheers,

Mick.

Ok, I'm already on the case. I am just uploading some pics but it is going at the speed of a geriatric slug at the mo.

Nigel

Ok I have some pics on photobucket; the first RangeRoverBuild I took while putting it together, and is dated Dec 2002. The second, RangeRover is some shots taken a few months ago; some of them to show where is, as it is at the top of a very steep drive. I think it would be quite hard to extricate - I would think a trailer with a winch would be needed, initially to winch the trailer up to it, then couple the trailer up to a Defender, then winch it on to the trailer. Or of course a Hiab.

A few more things I remember. The engine was balanced, and had a non-standard cam. The heads were standard, V8 Dev reckoned about 240-250bhp would result. The injectors were overhauled, and it has Magnacor leads. The block is a Gems block with spacer for the old style front end. It had new oil pump internals and valve gear also. The springs give about 1-2" lift. I intended to fit twin lpg tanks underneath. There's bits of patching to the boot floor/wheelarch area, some neat some not so neat, and quite a bit of the underseal has been stripped off as it was rusting under the underseal. It would need front discs and all calipers rebuilt.

Nigel

Well the engine alone would fetch a bit, so it might be worth breaking it. Otherwise it would be a case of finishing it or selling as an unfinished project which never seem to go for as much.

Jon

Is there a problem breaking it yourself these days - do you need a licence or something, or do you have to take the chassis to a scrapyard or something, or are you allowed to act as breaker? Don't snoopers suspect you might have gradually got rid of it in a wheelie bin? I have looked up the engine invoices which I still have. I originally bought a 3.5 off V8 Dev for £545 then asked to upgrade it and they took it back and charged another £2061, so a total of £2606. Also I have their published power curve which gives about 245bhp at 5200rpm, torque about 295 lb.ft at 3500rpm on a Weber 500 carb, they claim another 33bhp for the cam. They thought I'd make at least that with the EFI, though it would be a prime megasquirt candidate these days. The rocker covers and plenum are polished so it's bound to do it.

I don't really have the time to finish it properly and equally I don't want to bodge it together and claim it's ok to someone unsuspecting, so I think it has either got to go as work in progress or in bits. I could sell the engine and associated gubbins separately I suppose, but I suspect that would mean more or less dismantling it myself.

Nigel