2.5 v6....

neildon

Hi all,

I am running a 2.5 v6 and wondered if anyone knows how drastic the fuel consumption is between that and a standard 1.8i.

As prices for fuel soar i am considering swapping, i dont need the extra power so a 1.8 would be fine but if the consumption is not much different (though i suspect it is)then there is no point changing.

many thanks

neil.

1.8's get around 27-30mpg and from what I've heard are not really any slower than the V6. I certainly liked mine.

thanks for that, ive never been impressed by the power on the v6 but i am hugely unimpressed by the consumption...it really devours fuel likes its free!!!!

Ive had my V6 Sport since 06 (its an 04) and yes, the fuel consumption is awfull- I cant get to Cornwall on a tank from Maidstone- a journey of 300 miles for me- I always have to top up just south of Plymouth. However, I find the performance more than acceptable on acceleration and a nice smooth run on the gearbox in all rev-ranges. Ive only done 29k in all that time, so Im happy to keep it for a bit more. I ballance that against HGF on a 1.8 K series- maintenance costs are low. I believe the cam-belts on the V6 are good for 60k- so Im half way there yet. Id be careful making an engine-swap, If thats what you were considering.

Ive had my V6 Sport since 06 (its an 04) and yes, the fuel consumption is awfull- I cant get to Cornwall on a tank from Maidstone- a journey of 300 miles for me - I always have to top up just south of Plymouth. However, I find the performance more than acceptable on acceleration and a nice smooth run on the gearbox in all rev-ranges. Ive only done 29k in all that time, so Im happy to keep it for a bit more. I ballance that against HGF on a 1.8 K series- maintenance costs are low. I believe the cam-belts on the V6 are good for 60k- so Im half way there yet. Id be careful making an engine-swap, If thats what you were considering.

the engine is good on mine, cambelts have been done and its a new rebuild on the engine, i was considering swapping the whole car, not the engine but after consideration the economy isnt massively different, from people ive spoke to recently, i really like the car but at £1.30 a litre and climbing its getting difficult to warrant the expense, unusual for me as im normally a firm believer of....when it runs out, fill it up again.....but the frequency seems to be getting serious.

Looks like i will be keeping it after all and will persevere with the cost.

Neil.

the engine is good on mine, cambelts have been done and its a new rebuild on the engine, i was considering swapping the whole car, not the engine but after consideration the economy isnt massively different, from people ive spoke to recently, i really like the car but at £1.30 a litre and climbing its getting difficult to warrant the expense, unusual for me as im normally a firm believer of....when it runs out, fill it up again.....but the frequency seems to be getting serious.

Looks like i will be keeping it after all and will persevere with the cost.

Neil.

Could you consider an LPG converstion? I've never had one but a friend of mine swears by them - he likes to drive big V8 yank-tanks.

I had a V6 and the fuel consumption was coming in at about 20mpg i have a Td4 which returns about 35mpg.

The performance of the V6 is good but the reliability of the V6 let me down so IMHO its not much better than the 1.8, both are the K-series family and both have head gasket failure.

I thought the v6 was better than the 1.8 in the HG department as it is not bolted through like the 1.8, more traditional in that the head bolt screw into the block not through into the sump oil rail....... mmmm, every day is a school day.

Gaz

I thought the v6 was better than the 1.8 in the HG department as it is not bolted through like the 1.8, more traditional in that the head bolt screw into the block not through into the sump oil rail....... mmmm, every day is a school day.

Gaz

head bolts for the v6 are the same as the 4 cylinder k series

both have the same construction type ;)

that said the v6 is less prone to hg failure