Power hacksaw - thoughts please

L19MUD

I have got a job to do tomorrow which involves cutting lots of 90 degree cuts in 80 by 40 box section.

My only tool suitable for this is the 9inch or 4 inch grinder, which is not going to be that accurate and will use a fair few blades!!

This is local to me and i have been offered it for £350 buy it now

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wicksteed-Power-Hacksaw-/110656291037?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item19c3a100dd

What do people think? I will have other work for it after tomorrow, but if I'm ever going to buy one, then today would be the day to do it!!

Thank you

Sam

Thanks for the replies - I thought it was a bit steep

I realise 3 phase will be cheaper than single phase, but I have both so it doesnt make much difference to me.

The saw is actually single phase though

Looks like i will be using the grinder tomorrow then!

I have an 18in power hacksaw, which cost me 25 quid. The 24in one you linked to must be a bit of a beast. I'd agree that £350 is too much for one in that state.

An angle grinder will be considerably quicker, and the discs are a lot cheaper than large hacksaw blades (unless you do what I do and wait for them to come up cheap on e-bay, which they do occasionally).

For 90 degree cuts the power hacksaw will be reasonably accurate, but you would have to spend quite a bit of time setting it up and doing test cuts to get accurate (and square) mitre cuts.

Nick.

What a great looking saw! I think you should bid on it anyway. We have one of those Q&S ones at work, slow but reliable. I don't think much of the horizontal bandsaw type, they never seem to cut straight and the blades don't last long compared to a donkey saw blade.

These are good as you can set it going and walk away but in my opinion they don't achieve an engineering square cut and they have a hacksaw finish so are more useful for trimming stock prior to finishing. The circular toothed blade cut off saws are more accurate and faster but you have to stand next to them swinging on the handle so it depends what you want to do with the cut part :)

Its like any tool, always useful so if you have the money and space...

Have you considered one of the small band-saws? They are similar money and although the cut is not particularly square - they are a more versatile tool. Particularly good if you set the blade vertically and use it for cutting shapes out of sheet & plate.

Si

Thanks everyone, we used the angle grinder in the end to make a large number of cuts in 80 by 40 box section (with reasonable accuracy!!)

I have put a bid on the saw for £50 which has met its reserve (with 2 days to go) so fingers crossed I will win it for that and it will make a cheap and fairly accurate alternative to the angle grinder.

Despite the fact we did about 25 cuts of the box section 5 cuts of some fairly hefty 100 by 50 channel and cut some flat bar, we only used 3 cutting discs on the 9 inch grinder!!

The result of our afternoon's work is a lorry ramp door that is unlikely to ever bend! :D