Warn 8274 making it faster

quedge

Overvolt it, David Bowyer does the relevant kit. You could change the gearing in it ie: gigglepin gears, but if your gonna start messing with it to that degree then you may aswell just get the full gp in the first place.

subject to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ of course :lol:

Steve

Hi Quedge...

What circumstances bring you to need/want to make the winch faster? Given that you already have a Bow2 on it, I guess you have used it in anger and would like to see more...

Do you want more speed under load, or for line retrieval or for 'paying out'?? If its getting the rope off the drum, then have a look at the Delta-Tek freespool drums.

A set of reduced gears would be the quickest and easiest solution (without absolutely demolishing the bank) to achieving more speed under load...

And bear in mind that if you want twin-motors, there are other ways to achieve it than that of Mr Giggle and his pin...

Hope that's of some help...

Hi Quedge, Hmm Why?

You should have plenty of speed & power under normal circumstances so I guess you're competing.

Over volting will make it faster but you might soon get bored of melting motors :ph34r:

Twin motors won't improve no load speed but will just make it pull harder, so faster under load.

Gigglepin do +25% top housing gears. I run these in my rear winch. But will work a single 12v motor harder.

You'll have to do the usual giglepin mods too.

im sorry but its taken me 3 years to " melt ' a motor on 24v through 12v

And that was because i refused to hit a 3ft wide tree that i was sat staring at which was 80ft down the hill that id just reversed up with the rope making horrid noises.

I decided i wanted to get down quickly so didnt switch down to 12v

im sorry but its taken me 3 years to " melt ' a motor on 24v through 12v

And that was because i refused to hit a 3ft wide tree that i was sat staring at which was 80ft down the hill that id just reversed up with the rope making horrid noises.

I decided i wanted to get down quickly so didnt switch down to 12v

Just reading into what you say...

You're switching 12/24v? via solenoids or a bowyer turbo box?

Then you're doing well in 3 years. I did 3 on one event! :o

I get between 28-32v with my engine running, & I'm not that gentle on the motors but I don't go out to ruin them it's too bloody expensive.

I also have to power out which they really don't like as I havn't got freespools. & no 12 option, thats for pussys :P:lol:

its how you use them to make them last, also cleaning them out after every event

Mine sits at 28v with the engine running, you shouldnt be getting any more

Pulse the winch when powering in or out

I didnt have freespools for ages infact ive only just got freespool on my back winch.... Now run twin gigglepins

Bow 2's front

Bow 1's rear

Dan

Thanks for the help!

I'm not competing yet but building up to it I'm after more speed under load so looks like the +25 gears.

For the 12v systems what amp alternators do you run & on the 24v systems is it best to fit a 24v alternator or the turbo box?

i run a dedicated 24v alt

Nothing to go wrong really then, mines a 80amp feeding twin optima's which then feed two twin motor gp winches

Upping the gearing wont really give youna faster line speed under load as the bowmotor wont have enough balls on 12v to produce enough torque to keep the line speed up

You might even find it slower on some hard pulls

I ran a bow one on a box std 8274 for 3 years on the back overvolted and it would keep up with hydraulic winches

Dan

i run a dedicated 24v alt

Nothing to go wrong really then, mines a 80amp feeding twin optima's which then feed two twin motor gp winches

Upping the gearing wont really give youna faster line speed under load as the bowmotor wont have enough balls on 12v to produce enough torque to keep the line speed up

You might even find it slower on some hard pulls

I ran a bow one on a box std 8274 for 3 years on the back overvolted and it would keep up with hydraulic winches

Dan

Ive seen it in action and feck me its quick.

dans front pulls like a train as well. i say throw your money at a free spool (thus saving time spooling out and not burning out on 24v) and look at 24v like dans that way YOU choose when you you feel you need the extra

so are you runnig a 12v bow motor at 24v all the time except for spooling out , so even under heavy load your still winching in on 24v

only reason i ask is i run a tds large drum with bow 2 and a turbo unit and ive only used it on 24 volt under low load

i run a single albrite on each winch motor

So ive got 5 of the buggers to look after !

I run 24v all the time when under load

12v no load

Like barney has said, freespool makes a massive difference thats why ive fitted another gp winch to the rear

Dan

Another vote for freespool, probably the biggest speed improvement you can get for your £ and allows you to then overvolt your motor with reduced risk.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending the Delta-Tek freespool, I have them front and rear and been very impressed with them.

the few comps I have seen recentally it is free spool that has won the day.

a well set up single motor 8274 will do better with a freespool than a double top housing with no free spool

the few comps I have seen recentally it is free spool that has won the day.

a well set up single motor 8274 will do better with a freespool than a double top housing with no free spool

Half the time i use freespool i have found the rope to be jammed on the drum too tight to pull off by hand so for me makes it a very expensive upgrade that only seems to work to it's full potential probally 4 times out of 10 :(:(:angry:

Half the time i use freespool i have found the rope to be jammed on the drum too tight to pull off by hand so for me makes it a very expensive upgrade that only seems to work to it's full potential probally 4 times out of 10 :(:(:angry:

A bad workman blames his tools... the main cause of snagging is bad winch rope management. Freespool helps reduces the number of snags as you're not overspooling but even with freespool if the crew don't look after the rope it'll always bite back in the end.