Tragedy in Scotland

So sad...

Im going to say this here and please do not take offense

But i was at a winch challenge not to long ago where seat belts were not mandatory.... there were new, youngs guys going off big slopes with no belts and half doors......i was amazed and as a marshall had no power to make them wear any

We compete in quite a few events and reading this has just made me place and order for some helmets.

Generally our sport is safe but sadly accidents do happen

thanks

But i was at a winch challenge not to long aga were seat belts were not mandatory.... there were new youngs guys going off big slopes with no belts and half doors......i was amazed and as a marshall had no power to make them wear any

Its events like this that will have the health and safety brigade kill our sport, but thats a story for a different thread.

Phil

it was a buggy

im sure there are a lot more people who were close friends to Andrew and know the exact story........ive seen pics of the truck and you would never say it had rolled about 29 times, the state of the truck after is a credit to Malcolm and the team @ Whitbread, its just so sad with the outcome

im sure someone will put all the rumours right pretty soon

RIP Andrew AKA (Muddy Porcupine)

Andrew had been at the Tyro in the morning. After it had finished, a few of the crews went off to explore the rest of the site plus he wanted to shake the buggy down prior to the Whitbread event (his car was a whitbread buggy). During this, whilst tackling a side slope, he has rolled the car.

I was greatly saddened to hear of this tragedy shortly after it had occurred and I know his co-driver, those present at the site and the whole team at Whitbread Offroad were very upset indeed.

I dont care what vehicle Andrew was in, no one could survive a roll of that severity. The pictures I have seen of the buggy bear testament to Malcolm and his team's skill.

We are awaiting the results of the PM and, eventually, the Procurator Fiscal's verdict - only once this has been published are we likely to see any reprocussions, if any.

RIP mate.

Ross

As siad, a tradgedy............. what we should learn from this, is that accidents happen, our club had an open driving day at the weekend, and when we stopped one guy going out on the course at the start of the day, we explained that we didn;t have marshalls on the site yet, (we were briefing them) and he actually said, so.... its not like i could die is it..... some people just dont understand that you don;t need to have a big accident to get hurt big time....

Please shoot me down if this isn't in appropriate to this thread. Mod's if this is not suitable, please delete this post.

Do we know what caused the injury(s)? and therefore how we can learn anything from it?

Obviously not much is going to help someone with that many rolls, but even if this only gets one more person to make sure their belt is on, or helmet on, makes someone a little more cautious, Or even just makes people more aware of a particular danger, then we can get something positive out of this? :unsure: