Detroit locker.is it worthwhile?

hi all,

got the chance to put a Detroit locker in my 110 salisbury rear axle (£250).

is i worth doing for a decent gain?

truck is used as main vehicle with some greenlaning and the odd pay and play.

got 35" tyres if that makes a difference.

thanks in advance for any help.

cheers

Ralph

Don't know much about the salisbury version but the version for the rover diff had a bad reputation for failing a while ago and I believe several suppliers stopped selling it due to warrenty problems.

I had one in a 86" (rover type diff again) and it was great off road, did create a few problems on road with it "twitching" as it locks and unlocks from drive to over run although this will be much reduced with the extra wheel base you have. I also broke a few half shafts on road as sometimes it didn't unlock, just meant I drove home in one wheel drive!.

As has been said if you are going off road it is worth fitting for that price, I would keep the origional guts of the diff just in case though....

A Detroit locker is about one step up from a Lincoln locker (i.e. welded diff). Fine for a truck used mostly off road, but a poor choice if you spend the majority of time on tarmac. They're cheap for a reason.

A Detroit locker is about one step up from a Lincoln locker (i.e. welded diff). Fine for a truck used mostly off road, but a poor choice if you spend the majority of time on tarmac. They're cheap for a reason.

Is this an internet opinion or based on the real world??

It is a great choice. I've had one for years on my 90. You don't even know it is there other than having a lot more traction off road. You will not know it is there on the road.

The Salisbury version will be unbreakable. With Ashcroft halfshafts and drive members, you will never ever break anything.

I've had one in my old range rover and that is now in my 90, coming on 5 years of use. It was second hand when I got it and is still going strong. In a 110 I would have thought this is a great combo if you do any sort of offroading or towing in tricky situations.

One thing I have noticed is detroits get a bit funny if the oil isn't in good condition.

I do want to change to a selectable locker, but purely as I want fiddle brakes. Otherwise it is fit and forget, the traction advantage from a rear locker is worth every penny in my opinion.

I had one and sold it, not a big fan. Yes they wrok, they are fairly tough though apprently not tough enough for everyone. I don't like them because they aren't a diff, they are a clever freewheel so they become a 1-wheel drive axle if there is enough grip to unlock them, possibly why the bust driveshafts on tarmac.

Had one fitted to my 90 for quite a while now. Ashcroft shafts (seeing as I spent so much on the diff, why risk it with weaker standard-shafts?). It's great, truly a fit-and-forget.

However, on snow-ice it can be dodgy as with a lack of traction you may find roundabouts don't provide enough resistance to break the lock and thus you're cornering with a fixed rear. In practice, I was out in the snow and ice last year and I didn't have a problem. But I was very aware of how I was driving due to the detroit and potential for chaos.

Also, I suspect that when crossing a side-slope that sometimes the rear can have like a corkscrew effect and slide the rear down the hill a little more than I believe a standard diff would. That's more of an anecdotal feeling rather than hard evidence however. Just something the seat-of-pants leads me to believe.

In practice, I was out in the snow and ice last year and I didn't have a problem.

Also, I suspect that when crossing a side-slope that sometimes the rear can have like a corkscrew effect and slide the rear down the hill a little more than I believe a standard diff would.

So....you actually have not had any problems. You just "think" that they might happen. Based on what???

I'm guessing I see a little more snow and ice than you. 6 months of snow covered roads. Lots of off roading on snow and ice. Creeks and ice flows that have glare ice on a side slope in the middle of trails....

I've never experienced any of the problems you think might occur. No strange, not unlocking in a corner on ice. No side slope problems. It behaves exactly the same as the guys with ARBs except it unlocks automagically.

Is this an internet opinion or based on the real world??

It is a great choice. I've had one for years on my 90. You don't even know it is there other than having a lot more traction off road. You will not know it is there on the road.

The Salisbury version will be unbreakable. With Ashcroft halfshafts and drive members, you will never ever break anything.

That would be real world, comparing my experience with a DL and an Arb. It still is a personal preference, but I prefer being able to completely unlock, and that's the advice I give when asked. I do disagree with the assertion that you don't know they are there -- a DL makes some noise on pavement.

Contrary to general believe, I have one and love it. the traction improvement off road will be massive, without adding complication to the car. It is a bit crude for, say a daily driver, but it is incredible value for money at that price.

Daan