Some P38 oddities?

GBMUD

I viewed a 1998 P38 2.5DSE earlier with a view to bidding on an ebay auction. I made a few observations which I would like to run by you guys...

1, I assume this is the dreaded book symbol on the HEVAC panel? The five buttons below the screen have no effect, air coming constantly from the screen vents.

post-209-0-67112300-1299268575_thumb.jpg

Chris

2. Some sort of foam jammed under the gearbox. I assume this is to absorb an oil leak and is not standard? Any suggestions where the oil might be leaking from? The cooler pipes look wet and there is also oil on the front crossmember below the rads. The bracket that retains the gearbox dipstick tube is broken and the tube wobbles about, I wondered if this might be the cause of a leak?

post-209-0-60896100-1299269097_thumb.jpg

3. Some unusual wiring. These wires seem to run from under the engine compartment fusebox to the ECU (? behind the battery) and on across the front of the engine. There is little or no wrapping/protection all the way, I assume that this is not usual?

There is a fault showing on the dash when you start the car: Alternator fault. Looking at the alternator, there is a new wire running from it, through a small bulb tucked down beside the battery which is behaving as an alternator/battery light. It all work and seems to charge, but have you any ideas why this would be so?

post-209-0-97718600-1299269266_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Chris

post-209-0-97718600-1299269266_thumb.jpg

have you any ideas why this would be so?
I think it's telling you to go and look elsewhere.

Any detailed answer takes too many keystrokes.

If you really want to 'bond' with the 38A, or are buying an example to write Practical DIY magazine articles about, then this example may be suitable. But if you want a car to drive, not play with, then even if this doesn't go above 99p, pick another one, please.

Hope This Helps :-)

I read somewhere that they are to be avoided without something akin to a full service history and a whole heap of confidence that it's been treated with respect. Mine confirmed to both these criteria yet it's still making my life very 'interesting'. The latest happy feature is a special rocking chair function in the drivers seat - wonderful.

TG

That has decided me then.

The short test drive on local roads without a trailer was sufficient to convince me that this, or any, 2.5 P38 may not be the ideal car for me.

The next question is, can I live with V8 fuel consumption? Or, can I buy a good enough LPG converted P38 for little enough money? Or should I be looking at something else? Time to resurrect an old thread in the International forum I think...

Thanks for the tips.

Chris

Chris,

If you're gonna buy a P38 diesel then make sure it has been chipped - we had ours down by superchips - 10 mpg turned into 23 and no flat spot between 2000 and 4000 rpm! Shame that the rest of the car didn't keep on working properly.....

As the other guys hinted, when it comes to P38's

"if theres doubt there can be no doubt....."

good luck

Darren

That has decided me then.

The short test drive on local roads without a trailer was sufficient to convince me that this, or any, 2.5 P38 may not be the ideal car for me.

The next question is, can I live with V8 fuel consumption? Or, can I buy a good enough LPG converted P38 for little enough money? Or should I be looking at something else? Time to resurrect an old thread in the International forum I think...

Thanks for the tips.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

3. Some unusual wiring. These wires seem to run from under the engine compartment fusebox to the ECU (? behind the battery) and on across the front of the engine. There is little or no wrapping/protection all the way, I assume that this is not usual?

I can't remember if the wiring loom normally has any additional protection where it runs along that trough (sounds like this vehicle has been 'tinkered' with electrically), but it should have a plastic cover over that area.

As David says, though, that's not a car I'd touch with a very long barge pole...

If you're gonna buy a P38 diesel then make sure it has been chipped - we had ours down by superchips - 10 mpg turned into 23 and no flat spot between 2000 and 4000 rpm! Shame that the rest of the car didn't keep on working properly.....

10mpg?! What were you doing to it to get the consumption that low? Mine (unchipped, so far as I'm aware) managed mid 20's and I wasn't necessarily driving it with the gentlest right foot. I'd feel very sore at only getting 10mpg out of a DS - you'd do better with a V8!

Sorry guys - typo not 10 but 19 - it was an auto - but you'll area still carp. Everyone says 27 - 30 out of a P38 when it's chipped, but they always forget to tell you hat its a manual and they drive it like a grandad!

Mine was an auto and as I said, I didn't drive it like a grandad. 27 was the absolute best I ever got out of it though, driving gently - 25 was more typical. Mostly out of town and relatively long distance, though.