Winch cut off switch - were to put it?

NicTheOrange90

does it need to be outside?

ive got a cutoff switch on my winch under the bonnet. the corner of the original bumper cuts down just nicely to make a bracket the hang the switch next to the coolant bottle.

Surely the whole idea of a cut out is that its quick and easy to get at for emergency reasons mainly - or just to cut off the power for when not in use.

so under the bonnet - IMHO is not the best place to put it, in the passenger footwell is ok (fairly popular) or on the dash. what about in the grill area, infront of the rad, but out of harms way (tucked in a bit)

Either way it needs to be easily accessible from pretty much any angle - assuming competitions are going to be done.

My one is in the passenger footwell.

just noticed that I am in the disco forum - -so some places may not be that suitable.. and as I don't have a disco/ or know that much about areas to put them on one.. I shall be quiet now.

Will be fititng the winch wiring this weekend, First Four suggest in the bonnet area, but my defender has it in the cabin (on the seat box)

ANy suggestions

didnt think of the comp bit requiring it outside. fit under bonnet & have a bowden cable sticking out the grill so you can pull it to 'off'?

under the bonnet makes sense to me as id prefer the cutoff as close to the battery as possible, why have all that heavy gauge wire you cant isolate in the event of problems?

fair comment... I also forgot the disco battery is under the bonnet... so that makes sense, with the pull cable etc etc.... thats probably why we put most of our ones in the seat box... as thats were the battery is..

didnt think of the comp bit requiring it outside. fit under bonnet & have a bowden cable sticking out the grill so you can pull it to 'off'?

under the bonnet makes sense to me as id prefer the cutoff as close to the battery as possible, why have all that heavy gauge wire you cant isolate in the event of problems?

As stated the Defender has battery inside cabin, so cut off can be also close to battery and out of harms way when car is locked up.

How about using a heavy duty relay under the disco bonnet, and a remote switch in the cabin?

Not yet into competitions, so no requirement to satisfy comp rules..

Just interested where other Disco owners had put theirs...

well the only two ive seen on a disco (mine & the one i copied) are both next to the coolant bottle under the bonnet. you'd be a hell of a HD relay to run a winch through, i know my winch takes 460amp max draw.

You need a hell of a cut off switch to run a winch through too. The ickle red ones are rated to 100-150A and even the 'heavy duty' metal ones are only rated to 250A.

If you want to run the winch through a 'hell of a HD relay' then use a single contact albright, about £30.

ive one of those little red cutoff switches, its still in its packet somewhere after i read the specs. got a feeling the switch i have is 300amp but it seems to survive. after all a lot of the time your winching you wont be ruinning at max load.